Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 572 Posts

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up an ultra low mile 2013 LML Denali HD. It has everything I want, and then some. 4700 miles, Steel grey, Denali package, sunroof, navigation, rear entertainment, back up camera, B&W turnover hitch, Access tonneau, 20" PYS wheels, 6" steps, wheelwell liners, tow mirrors, etc. Here's how it looked on the dealer's site:

As you can see, the previous owner went nuts with aftermarket chrome doodads. AVS vent visors, AVS hood visor, Putco stainless wheelwell trim, Putco bed rails, Gatorback mud flaps with stainless Denali plaques, Stainless rocker trim panels, Putco chrome mirror covers, Putco chrome hood bulge cover... Guy spent a mint bedazzling the truck. I have my work cut out for me. I have no interest in any of these aftermarket pieces.

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First things first- fly to minnesota, check it out, pay, drive it back to New York... Got great mileage on the way home. averaged 19 for the trip. Very pleased! LLY wouldn't have done that with the speeds I was traveling.

After a quick wash, I tackled removing some of the aftermarket stuff. First off was the hood visor, Mirror covers, bed rails, wheelwell trim, and mudflaps. Piece of cake.

Next was the vent visors. Again- not a big deal. Little heat, and they popped right off. Still a little residue in this shot, but it was quickly remedied with a 3M eraser wheel and some 3M adhesive remover.

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next up the hood bulge chrome cover. What a pain in the ass that was...

Had to heat it, pry it up, heat it some more, pry it up- alla while being careful not to damage the black OEM piece beneath it, or to mess up the hood. The PO should be shot for buying this. The installer did his job- that sucker was ON there! Had to resort to using snips. Gave better access to the areas still securely adhered.
After some time and bleeding, it came off.

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a shot showing the fruits of my labor. Still some adhesive residue on the hood- I took care of that. I'm really pleased with the outcome!

·
LLY Guy
11,953 Posts
Geez, the Pep Boys accessory catalog needs to be taken away from the old owner.
Defiantly like the after shots better, less is more :)

·
That's what she said....
727 Posts
Congrats man! I'm pretty jealous, those trucks are just sooooo damn nice. I have the same thoughts of you to removing all that shiney stuff. Looks awesome, enjoy it!!!!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Looks much better!

Now, go to phase-II. Sand and paint the mirrors and hood "vent" to match color on truck!

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
looks much better now.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Like this:

Reactions: Rckcrwlr and 187058

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree with taking off most of the doo-dadds but I like mud flaps on my truck... Although I am partial to airhawk hd flaps.

Reactions: Prophet

·
Super Moderator
6,037 Posts
Nice truck Jay!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Beautiful truck!! Almost exactly what I'm looking to buy!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I did my hood scoop thingy on my GMC but did not think about the mirrows. That is a good idea I may need to do that also.
You guys might consider the grille as well. Pics in my garage: (2008 Chevrolet Duramax 6.6L LMM - pa32rt’s Garage - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums).

I have always been a billet grille guy, but they restrict too much air for our DMax intercoolers. So, I still wanted something "custom". Took it apart (two pieces), painted the mesh part, and epoxied back together.

Now I have a "custom" grille, but didn't restrict airflow.

Reactions: sycofiend71

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 2500 HD AT4 DMAX
54 Posts
Looks good keep the pics coming as you continue on!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
How does the hood scoop come off? It looks like there are screws under the badge???

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats man! I'm pretty jealous, those trucks are just sooooo damn nice. I have the same thoughts of you to removing all that shiney stuff. Looks awesome, enjoy it!!!!
Thank you! Yeah, that stuff was unnecessary.

looks much better now.
I have to agree. Thanks!

I did my hood scoop thingy on my GMC but did not think about the mirrows. That is a good idea I may need to do that also.
I had plans to piaint the mirrors and hood bulge long ago. I'll be sure to post pics- maybe it'll help you decide whether you'll be headed back to the paint booth.

I agree with taking off most of the doo-dadds but I like mud flaps on my truck... Although I am partial to airhawk hd flaps.
I kept the flaps on for a day or two. They're really nice- heavy duty. They just didn't fit in with my overall vision.

Nice truck Jay!
Thank you!

Beautiful truck!! Almost exactly what I'm looking to buy!
Go get one! they're out there. Thanks for the compliment.

Looks good keep the pics coming as you continue on!!
Will do!

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had a visit from the FedEx guy yesterday.

Weathertech mats, Bedtred bed liner, and some stake pocket caps. I'll be installing the Bedtred today. Looks like a nice product.

1 - 20 of 572 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.