Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Living in California and having just installed my 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust system I have been hesitant to throw out my factory exhaust because of California's new smog requirements for diesel vehicles. I am ok with hanging on to the factory catalytic converter but the rest of the exhaust with the factory flange to mount up to the factory CAT is heavy and takes up a ton of space. I haven't seen it yet myself but I had a hunch that the MBRP exhaust systems were modular and shared components between their full turbo back exhaust and their CAT back systems. I called and spoke to MBRP to confirm my suspicions and low and behold they gave me a part number for a short piece of pipe that is flared on one end and has the four bolt flange on the other side that they use in their CAT back system to bolt up to the factory catalytic converter. So I jumped on the phone and called Nate at Performance Truck Products to see if he could order the part for me and he actually stocks them (Part # for 4" aluminized is GMAL405).

I'm willing to bet that there are a couple of other people in California who have full turbo back MBRP systems or want full exhaust but are hesitating now because of the new smog requirements. Maybe some of those people don't want to hang on to or would love to get rid of their factory exhaust that's taking up room in their garage in exchange for a $40 part they could toss up on the shelf and take down to bolt up their factory catalytic converter when they get called in for a smog test.

I will keep you posted as to what I find out once I receive the part and verify that it is a plug and play (bolt and clamp) solution. I am excited to get rid of that huge pipe and I know my wife will enjoy having the space back as well.

I'll make sure that I take pictures of the process as well to help make sure that everyone can follow my thoughts here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for trying this out...as I try and figure out what exhaust I am going to go with the thought of the smog testing in CA about had me convinced I needed to stay with a cat back system. If this works it may open up some other options for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the part in super quick but with Easter and family stuff last weekend I didn't have a chance to play with the exhaust. I will update here as soon as I get a chance to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah, I just spoke to the guy at MBRP earlier today. He told me to use the same part number down tube. Then I came on DP to see if anyone else had experience with it. I'm eager to see how it works out for HD_Diesel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for this post! I was just wondering the same thing. I wanted to get the MBRP full stainless but also wanted to be able to put my cat back on for the same reason. This should work with a CC LB too right?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know, I'm lagging. Sorry to keep you all in suspense. I have the part right here on my desk and I will try my best to get you all an update this week.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just got my truck smogged and passed. Had no exhuast on at all. Literally just my diamond eye downpipe and that was it. What a joke the new smog rules are. It cost me a couple of bucks but it's done:)

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I with you on this

Living in California and having just installed my 4" turbo back MBRP exhaust system I have been hesitant to throw out my factory exhaust because of California's new smog requirements for diesel vehicles. I am ok with hanging on to the factory catalytic converter but the rest of the exhaust with the factory flange to mount up to the factory CAT is heavy and takes up a ton of space. I haven't seen it yet myself but I had a hunch that the MBRP exhaust systems were modular and shared components between their full turbo back exhaust and their CAT back systems. I called and spoke to MBRP to confirm my suspicions and low and behold they gave me a part number for a short piece of pipe that is flared on one end and has the four bolt flange on the other side that they use in their CAT back system to bolt up to the factory catalytic converter. So I jumped on the phone and called Nate at Performance Truck Products to see if he could order the part for me and he actually stocks them (Part # for 4" aluminized is GMAL405).

I'm willing to bet that there are a couple of other people in California who have full turbo back MBRP systems or want full exhaust but are hesitating now because of the new smog requirements. Maybe some of those people don't want to hang on to or would love to get rid of their factory exhaust that's taking up room in their garage in exchange for a $40 part they could toss up on the shelf and take down to bolt up their factory catalytic converter when they get called in for a smog test.

I will keep you posted as to what I find out once I receive the part and verify that it is a plug and play (bolt and clamp) solution. I am excited to get rid of that huge pipe and I know my wife will enjoy having the space back as well.

I'll make sure that I take pictures of the process as well to help make sure that everyone can follow my thoughts here.
I have a 4" cat back system....I have to wait until later this year before I can install the MBRP cat delete pipe. Then I have at least 2 years before I have to make the truck stock looking again. A bit of a hassle, but it should only take a few hours to place the stock parts back....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally...

ok...My smog is finally due and has pressured me into getting you guys some answers / results ;) Thank you for your patience.

Here are my pipes layed out showing the adaptor flange next to a lb7 stock / cat delete pipe to show how all the parts match up to the length of the MBRP Cat Delete pipe. Looking good so far here.

I would highly recommend to anyone in CA who does their full exhaust to use some sort of high temp anti-sieze on this joint here to ease in the removal of the MBRP cat delete pipe when replacing your stock catalytic converter for when you are done with your (off-road only use) and need to have your truck meet California regulations for on-road use.

Here it is all done and happy for CARB

·
Registered
546 Posts
I smogged mine on wednesday. Took my stock cat gutted it widened the opening to 5" for the exhaust slid it on to a section of pipe welded on. Took to a smog shop the guy just looked for a cat checked the door sticker, looked for the CA, or FED emissions sticker. Then looked for the egr and it passed. The guy didn't even hook the computer to the OBD II port. Complete waste of 58 bucks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
newest addition to testing is they will be looking for larger than stock size pipe on catalytic front pipe.So everyone slipping their gutted cat on their 4 and 5 inch front pipes WILL be getting caught eventually.Best thing to do is to leave front cat stock,gut or slip over original factory 3.5 inch non cat front pipe from earlier yrs.This info was in latest BAR newsletter.BAR is cracking down on non compliant shops heavier than before.Several pages of shops fined,licenses revoked for improper inspections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had my 05 Smogged at the dealer for the 1st time, and passed!! All I had to do was, 1..tune my engine back to stock..2..remove the EGR Blocker plate, 3...install stock air intake, 4...Drop my 4" straight pipe and remove, ( it slid out the back all in 1 piece) Install Cat to turbo...thats it, no muffler or tail pipe...all in all, it only took about an hour to do this, but i will have to do it again in 2 years....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I just had my 05 Smogged at the dealer for the 1st time, and passed!! All I had to do was, 1..tune my engine back to stock..2..remove the EGR Blocker plate, 3...install stock air intake, 4...Drop my 4" straight pipe and remove, ( it slid out the back all in 1 piece) Install Cat to turbo...thats it, no muffler or tail pipe...all in all, it only took about an hour to do this, but i will have to do it again in 2 years....

I left the blocker plate in and the 120hp tune in as well. I forgot to plug the egr back in and he failed me. He made me leave for ten minutes to plug the egr back in and then I passed. Complete joke!

Your in my prayers California. I hope this state fails!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Removing the catalytic converter in any state is a $10,000 fine. There are companies that make cats that are high performance or you can get one that is from another truck and gut it, weld it back together with the weld on the side of the cab. All they have to do is look under the truck and they can write you a ticket for the cat missing. The other options will at least get you some time before they actually make you smog it.
CA sucks with their smog laws. My truck is registered in Yavapai County Arizona. There are no smog laws period. The county is too small to hassle with it.
Does anybody know a good DPF delete kit for an LML Duramax? I have seen many but I don't know anything about them. Thanks.

·
Administrator
17,003 Posts
Do you know if the diamond eye is same length as Mbrp for front pipe or is that adapter piece strictly for the Mbrp . And where did u buy the front pipe a lot of shops don’t want to even sell to California. I can get a better deal I think on a cat back diamond eye shipped to me . But would need to find someone that will ship front pipe to me and get that adapter piece.
Welcome to DieselPlace

You may not get a response back from that member ( Last seen Apr 9, 2015 )

Start by creating a new thread with your questions and be sure to fill out your signature info ( Year, Make, and Model ) and list any known mods.
The members will chime in and give you some great advice.
(y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts