Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my registration in the mail today and they want me to get a SMOG CHECK!:eek: Are diesels required to get these now? For the past 6 years they just tack on the smog abatement fee of $10 or so but this year it says: To renew, just provide: smog certification. Anyone else had this issue? Freakin freaks out here, what are they thinking? Help me out guys. Thanks.

LA DMAX

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just sent mine in a few weeks ago. No smog required.

·
Banned
4,272 Posts
they made an error.

Shops are currently not equipped to smog diesels right now...

From what i heard.. i dunno i'm not a smog tech...

I however do have the current bill for the LMM and no smog needed.... We just paid the 02 2 months ago and no smog needed..

They made a mistake.

Pay the fee and send it in early.
You can do that with a smog car and have the registration paid for just awaiting the smog - so you don't incur extra fees.Attach a letter that says your truck is a diesel and does not require a smog....

·
Registered
159 Posts
dear god no, absolutely not!!! I would like to think someone made a mistake. I have never had to smog my truck nor have I received paperwork stating I had to. My truck would never pass a smog test anyhow.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope that someone made a mistake over in Sacramento. I'm gonna give them a call this week and see what I find out. If it's real everyone should dress up like the psycho's in jspicket's picture and march up to Sacramento, heeheehee. Thanks guys.

LA DMAX

·
Banned
4,272 Posts
you're in socal, why aren't you in the truck club?

:D

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stewie; didn't really know about it. Sometimes it's hard to pay attention to everyone's sigs, but I'll check out your web site.

LA DMAX

·
Registered
289 Posts
No smog check required for the Duramax. I would also agree that someone made a mistake. I would do one thing though, double check your vin on your vehicle with what is on the reg you were mailed from DMV. I have seen times that the wrong vin was used.

I bought a new vehicle last year and the dealer made an error in the vin but I caught it time to change the paper work. So from that day on every time I buy a new vehicle I physically compare the vin to the paper work.
Good luck,

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bsmall; thanks for the info, I'll do that now, that would be the best thing that could have happened.

stewie: hmm, doing a little construction on the web site? How long you guys been around?

LA DMAX

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked the VIN, it matched up so no error there. Ya know, when I was in my 1st year in college I was driving my old VW rabbit diesel that had 180,000 miles on it and it smoked real bad when I got on it. I guess someone complained and I got a letter from AQMD telling me to get it checked out and notify them after I repaired it. I tossed the letter thought WTF, I don't have the cash for this, i'm freakin poooooor. Currently I'm doing alot better financially but now I have a 2002 DA that smokes alot when I get on it. Maybe someone complained again. Well, I guess something never change. Thanks again guys.

LA DMAX

·
Banned
4,272 Posts
Just checked the VIN, it matched up so no error there. Ya know, when I was in my 1st year in college I was driving my old VW rabbit diesel that had 180,000 miles on it and it smoked real bad when I got on it. I guess someone complained and I got a letter from AQMD telling me to get it checked out and notify them after I repaired it. I tossed the letter thought WTF, I don't have the cash for this, i'm freakin poooooor. Currently I'm doing alot better financially but now I have a 2002 DA that smokes alot when I get on it. Maybe someone complained again. Well, I guess something never change. Thanks again guys.

LA DMAX
several have gotten that letter because of their diesels. You will know when you get reported :)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stewie, is it still through the AQMD or someone else? Hey BTW was that hillclimb at Jawbone Canyon? Looks like it.

LA DMAX

·
Banned
4,272 Posts
Stewie, is it still through the AQMD or someone else? Hey BTW was that hillclimb at Jawbone Canyon? Looks like it.

LA DMAX
Not completely sure who it's through.

Yep, thats jawbone. :D

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
They check vehicles that enter the freeway for excessive emission exhaust-- so you got busted. They are citing desels and other vehicles so you will have to repair the truck so it does not smoke and have it inspected. Not a regular full blown smog test, as the cars have, they check for smoke only. So Cal people don't want to breath that stuff.:eek:

·
Registered
159 Posts
"So Cal people don't want to breath that stuff" Really? Speak for yourself, personally I like it. Read my sig!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I got the same on my renewal. They screwed it up had to get er' inspected to get it taken off.... Same **** happened the next year. I showed the D.umb M.enapausing V.ixen same inspector from the year before that SHE signed it off already.. Oh well she appologized, and I left. Well see what happens next summer... But still NO SMOG.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are regulations pending in the Kalifornia legislature that will require a smog check on diesel trucks in this state (starting in 2010) that weigh less than 7,501 lbs (don't know why they selected this weight). Duallies will be exempt since they don't fit on the dyno.
Don't know if this will also include a check for all pollution equip (cat, EGR , PVC,etc.), but I would hang on to these items.

I have no idea why you would have received one of these notices early. Maybe they are just practicing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's a scary thought as I have already removed and discarded my cat. Does anyone know if you could still pass "smog testing" with hollow cat and stock tuning?

·
Banned
4,272 Posts
That's a scary thought as I have already removed and discarded my cat. Does anyone know if you could still pass "smog testing" with hollow cat and stock tuning?
highly doubt it.

There are enough people on here that would be willing to help you find a cat though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.