Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently found out I got screwed by a dealership. I bought my truck in January of 2014 and I am now due for a smog check, the first one since I have owned the truck. I took my truck in to get the smog done and the smog tech called me back and asked me why I would even bring the truck in. There is no catalytic converter and an edge programmer on it. Both of which are illegal here in the great state of Cali:thumbsdow I informed him that I bought the truck that way and the dealership had a passing smog cert when I bought it. Long story short, the dealership "bought" a passing inspection in order to sell it in my opinion. But I can't prove that. I called a GM dealer to see what a new cat cost and they quoted me over $1250.00 OUCH I found a used one on craigslist, but it is off of a 2006 duramax. So my question is will the 2006 stock cat (california approved) work for my 2005. At least long enough to get an inspection done.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
962 Posts
probably should work as far as being a catalytic converter. could be different in the manner in which it connects to the remainder of the exhaust system. that you would need to look at.

not knowing the edge, but are they serial nbr'ed or otherwise identifiable as to the original purchaser ? if there was some way you could establish of chain of ownership that went through the dealership, you might have some recourse.

of course you could/should talk to a lawyer as there were laws that were bent a bit in selling it to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. That is a good idea about the serial number. I will try to track that down. I have contacted the BAR and they are investigating both the smog shop that passed it as well the dealership. I just don't know how far I will get being it is almost 2 years after buying the truck. But i am definitely going to try to get them for it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Look into aftermarket Cats from Summit Racing or Jegs. Check to see if they're CARB approved for use in your wonderful state of Cali. They're going to be much cheaper then that ridiculous price the dealer quoted you.

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts
The LLY uses a bolted flange at the front pipe, the LBZ uses a band clamp. If it is a Federal Emissions truck (bought in another state and brought to California) you may be able to use an aftermarket Magnaflow the only problem is Magnaflow will not ship to a California address. If the truck was originally sold new in California you have to go back with an OEM..

FE9 is Federal Emissions
NE1 is Northeast Emissions this covers NY, VT, MA, or ME
YF5 is California Emissions
VCL is a CFF (Clean Fuel Fleet) designation required to qualify for certain tax incentives

SELECTING THE RIGHT CONVERTER

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I haven't had any luck finding an aftermarket cat that is carb compliant. However I did find a used complete exhaust that is straight pipe and also the cat from a 2006 duramax. I'm thinking of buying both of those and just getting a buddy to weld the cat into that used exhaust. That way I don't have to cut and weld on my current exhaust. The one question I have is, the used exhaust that i'm looking to get does not have a muffler. Does anyone know if a muffler is required to pass a California smog?

·
Registered
940 Posts
A muffler doesn't do much for smog/emissions. They just reduce the overall sound level of the exhaust system. It sounds like you want to be compliant, without really upgrading the exhaust. Why don't you just have your buddy weld in the '06 cat into your current system?

·
Registered
329 Posts
CA law states It has to be OEM and cant be aftermarket. its a sight inspection. annually or if you live further out in the sticks every two years. if you get pulled over by joe shmoe copper he probably wont notice the difference between the two. a mechanic will though. I have even known people to gut the cat on the topside and just leave the shell. CA cant do an emissions test due to the particulates that come out. they clog the sensor. I have done some research with this as you can tell. ultimately I got mine registered out of state

·
Gone but not forgotten member
2,582 Posts
Here is what I have to go through every year..

Shut down the truck in the building tail end partially outside

Open the hood and do a visual on the engine along with a mirror check of the cat

Start the truck and the inspector looks on the dash for a CEL

Governor test, throttle to floor once hold then release, shut down truck

Opacity test, hook up sniffer tube to exhaust, watch the inspector for directions

Throttle up to governor 3 times as directed

Shut down truck, pay money, pass or fail papers......

Fail=no registration tags for the year

Here is a picture of the "sniffer"
=
=

=
=

My 1982 C20 gets the rollers and sniffer..

=
=

=
=

·
Registered
940 Posts
CA law states It has to be OEM and cant be aftermarket. its a sight inspection. annually or if you live further out in the sticks every two years. if you get pulled over by joe shmoe copper he probably wont notice the difference between the two. a mechanic will though. I have even known people to gut the cat on the topside and just leave the shell. CA cant do an emissions test due to the particulates that come out. they clog the sensor. I have done some research with this as you can tell. ultimately I got mine registered out of state
I should have known that it had to be OEM in Cali. At one time, my exhaust was straight piped. I was due for inspection, so I had a Magnaflow diesel cat welded into the exhaust. Right after that, I drove around the corner to a diesel smog testing place, and would ya know the inspector guy didn't even check for a cat? I was pissed. I guess I'm just glad I don't live in California.

·
Registered
329 Posts
so I looked at the new diesel restrictions on CA DMV and the amendments, as I understand, only pertain to medium and heavy duty diesel applications(tractor trailers, utility trucks so on and so on.) I didn't see anything new on light duty diesel vehicles. Silverado sierra ram f250s and diesel cars. honestly I would just talk to the dealer and also the DMV then find a way to go from there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
So I recently found out I got screwed by a dealership. I bought my truck in January of 2014 and I am now due for a smog check, the first one since I have owned the truck. I took my truck in to get the smog done and the smog tech called me back and asked me why I would even bring the truck in. There is no catalytic converter and an edge programmer on it. Both of which are illegal here in the great state of Cali:thumbsdow I informed him that I bought the truck that way and the dealership had a passing smog cert when I bought it. Long story short, the dealership "bought" a passing inspection in order to sell it in my opinion. But I can't prove that. I called a GM dealer to see what a new cat cost and they quoted me over $1250.00 OUCH I found a used one on craigslist, but it is off of a 2006 duramax. So my question is will the 2006 stock cat (california approved) work for my 2005. At least long enough to get an inspection done.

Thanks in advance

If you need a system, I have the complete cat and muffler/tailpipe all the way out for an LLY. It's new, well almost. My original exhaust cracked, so the dealer installed a complete new system. I brought it home, took it off, and installed an after market system. The stock system has been upstairs in my storage building ever since. I kept it just in case Maryland went the California route and started checking diesels.

I don't know what shipping would be if you want the entire system because from the cat back it's one piece, but it would be a far sight less that that price for a new cat! The cat is separate if you only need that. PM if you need it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
so I looked at the new diesel restrictions on CA DMV and the amendments, as I understand, only pertain to medium and heavy duty diesel applications(tractor trailers, utility trucks so on and so on.) I didn't see anything new on light duty diesel vehicles. Silverado sierra ram f250s and diesel cars. honestly I would just talk to the dealer and also the DMV then find a way to go from there.
My 2004.5 HD requires a Biannual "smog" check which in my opinion is a total joke, none the less I am required to pass it in order to get my truck registered.

·
Registered
329 Posts
CA has a slanted view of diesel engines, I think that when they see the black smoke they think its the most dangerous thing on the earth. Besides oh I dont know lack of water wildfires crime. a lot of people don't realize that someone has one Bar-b-que with charcoal they put out more CO2 emissions then a semi truck will in a year. but then again almost all of Ca is half baked anyways..... but I will say there is almost always lb7/lly/lbz exhaust setups for sale here in socal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts