Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy I know is selling a 1996 Skyline Weekender cabover camper for $1500. It is in good shape and has low use, but it is made for a long box truck (he had a Ford). He said it books around $2500 and I think that is a good deal based upon some others I have seen. I would need to add air, but I am still interested.

I was wondering if it would be a problem loading it into my shortbox? Would I be able to securely mount it? Would it be in violation of any Arizona or California regulations if it is not properly sized for my vehicle.

Thanks!

Out!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What length is the camper? A small 8' would be fine, a 12' would put the center of gravity for the camper just in front of your back bumper and would be nearly impossible to drive safely. I also notice in your signature that your truck has a 6" lift. I personally would never put any cabover camper on a lifted truck. You are just asking for trouble by putting a top heavy, high profile load on a lifted vehicle (formerly useful as a truck.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
No way with a large cabover your headlights would be pointing at the moon it would sit too far back in the truck to secure it as mentioned center of gravity would be way off and the lift has got to go for truck campers high winds would toss you all over the road and probably cause loss of control.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
No way with a large cabover your headlights would be pointing at the moon .
This would require replacing the emblem on the grille with a blue oval :lol:

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have an 8 1/2 foot Lance on my shorty and it works great. I think much more than that is a risk, especially if you are going to pull a trailer. I had to pay a lot more for a shorter camper for my truck, I could have bought 10 or 11 footers for a lot less. be careful and buy the right combo if you are going to keep the truck. PM me if you want to talk more detail. Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts