Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Can anyone tell me where the cabin filters are located inside the cabin? I am new to these cabin filters and curious as to how often to change and where located inside the cabin. Please help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
01Duramax,

I believe they are in the blower assembly under the glove compartment. Here is a picture....

I believe I remember some saying not to remove all the screws to the bottom cover of the HVAC module or it is a real PITA to get it back in...

Anyone out there with first hand experience? Mine is an 03 so I have not had the opportunity to try first hand.

John

·
Registered
211 Posts
There is a cover with 3 screws. The one that is a PITA is located above the trans hump. It is not near as bad if you don't have a center console. Remove the cover. There is one screw holding the part marked #1 in the above post. The part is just under the center of the glove compartment. Remove the screw in it will hinge down. Pull the filter down. Now the tricky part, there is a second filter in there. Look to the front of where the first one is located. Slide it back and pull down. You can see how everything goes back in. I bet there are quite a few trucks running around with out the difficult screw if the filters have been replaced.

CS-Dmax. I don't think you will find filters in yours. I know the 03s with dual control do not have them. I haven't looked on one without dual controls.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Yep, that's a good illustration, but you have to remove the black plastic shroud covering the access panel, and that's were you get *screwed* by the design!
Do not completely remove the innermost screw (towards the center console) on the black shroud or you will wind up unable to replace it!
Take out the outer screws, loosen the inner screw and let the shroud dangle on the loosened inner screw - you should have plenty of clearance to open the access slot shown in the illustration and remove the filters. There are 2 filters. One will be right inside the slot under the cover, the other slides forward towards the firewall and may need to be hooked with a wire or screwdriver and pulled to the slot. New filters go in the same way: put in first filter and slide forward, put in second filter and replace cover and shroud.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
How soon do they typically get clogged and what are the symptoms?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
hoot said:

At 62,000 miles normaly thermostats go at the same time ...

I would change once year ,cheap enough ....Reduced airflow I think would be a dead give away it's clogged ...Perhaps blower motor sounding like it's straining ....That and offensive odors,good enough reason for me ...

Mac

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Mackin said:
hoot said:

At 62,000 miles normaly thermostats go at the same time ...

I would change once year ,cheap enough ....Reduced airflow I think would be a dead give away it's clogged ...Perhaps blower motor sounding like it's straining ....That and offensive odors,good enough reason for me ...

Mac
I do believe my blower motor is straining. No pun intended.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine were at 38-40K and almost 4 years old. They were choking it down. The airflow did increase with the new ones. I have about 30k and another year on them now. I have a new set to install when I get a chance.

I wish K&N made a replacement!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used a "c" lock on the hard to get at screw to hold it in place on the housing. Made the job much easier and less frustrating trying to get it back together.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have an 04 with dual climate controls and it does not have a filter. I wish it did because I still have ashes blowing out of my vents from the recent fires.

Is there any way to add the filter to my truck
?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
dslbrnr said:
I have an 04 with dual climate controls and it does not have a filter. I wish it did because I still have ashes blowing out of my vents from the recent fires.

Is there any way to add the filter to my truck
?
Hey.... how bout a 2 micron post OEM setup
Hootane.com

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I get an error when I go to hootane.com

wheres the anykey?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I changed my in-cab filter at 30k miles. The filter were so clogged I don't know how any air got through them at all. The one screw is a PITA over the hump, but if you take it out it will go back, you just have to be savvy about it. I don't have any of the dust inside the truck and it smells almost new again. I think all the vehicles should have a cabin air filter judging by how much trash/dust was in the old ones. My AC works better now, too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, the info that you all provided is very helpful and I know it will be useful when I tackle this job. Thanks again for all the info.

01Duramax

·
Registered
403 Posts
Changed then at 50,000...... yuk. Will do it again at 75,000.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Do 04 have this also. Never heard of it before.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gradyghost said:
I get an error when I go to hootane.com

wheres the anykey?

You may need to try www.hootane.com instead of hootane.com worked for me!!!!

The anykey....hmmmm.....well.... See the Compaq support page link below for more info, It seems others have had this problem!

ANYKEY

PEANUT seems to be the keyboard expert around here anyhow!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I changed mine today. 30,000 miles and 13 months. I have driven no more than 300 miles on dirt and gravel roads. The filters were surprisingly clean. Much, much cleaner than the first filters I pulled out @ 37K. I mainly run the Heater and AC in the recalculate mode. This may be the reason it is cleaner. The previous owner may have run it in fresh air mode (I have known this truck since new, it had never been on dirt/gravel roads). Anyhow they would have made it twice as long. I still think GM was wrong for deleting them in 2003.

Idle Chatter has tip. Leave the screw new the center hump in. You can pull down the cover far enough to change out the filters. Makes a 5 minute install out of a 15 minute install

Hoot,

After seeing this, I don’t think there will be much demand for a 2 micron OEM Cabin Air. You’ll have to find another use for hootane.com! Until then it is pointed at your web signature www.hootane.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts