Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year do the Silverado bodies ( which are essentially Suburbans ) come with replaceable/serviceable cabin air filters ?

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts
2002-2003, then again starting 2015...you can fit one to your '05 fairly easily.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts
Except many of the '99-'02 were the GMT-460 and, as such, didn't have cabin air filters.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
OK fine... I really dont give one tinker's damn about the 6.5 trucks.

99-02 GMT-800 and 2015+ ..........But you can add them to all the other years in between.

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts
Maybe you could sell him a kit for that ;)

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Nope. Dorman makes one, though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope. Dorman makes one, though.

CABIN AIR FILTER question, cont:

You telling me Dorman makes some kind of adapter kit by which I can have a cabin air filter on my 2013 Silverado 3500 crew cab? I cant find it - can I have a 'link" ?:confuzeld

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
=============================
Thank you VERY much for the info. My wife is allergic - she knows that our Toyota has a very effective cabin air filter - is absolutely delighted we can rig one up for our truck. I placed an order - hopefully I can cut into the plenum so that when installed, it will look "legit"....!:)

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2002-2003, then again starting 2015...you can fit one to your '05 fairly easily.
REGARDING CABIN AIR FILTERS

As a side-note, I see this system has not yet gotten my "up-date", that we are replacing our 2005 Silverado 3500 crew cab ( essentially a Suburban body) with our "new to us" 2013 Silverado 3500 crew cab (also essentially a Suburban body).

I went ahead and ordered the "retro-fit" to install a cabin air filter in my 2013. Came with a nice set of instructions, fairly well-illustrated.

But it isn't a Dorman - came in a box labled "AC DELCO" ( "ACD # 22759208, GM No. 22759208.

O.k...all fine and dandy. Now...how in heck do I figure out what air filter to buy ? :wtf:

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
NAPA 4805 or equivalent.

I seem to remember the ACDelco/GM door was from a Trailblazer. Its been a while.
I used to charge $35 for everything, including filters, in my kit.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much for the info. Will do the mod. tomorrow afternoon. Getting the dust and polen out of our cabin will make my wife very happy !

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
CABIN AIR FILTER retrofit - UPDATE as of 7-12-18

As I noted previouisly, I THOUGHT I ordered a complete retrofit kit - which presumably would tell the purchaser what filter to buy.

What I got was a AC box, inside of which was an instruction sheet, and a "door".

Of interest - the photos in the instruction sheet do match what others have posted here; that confirms GM has continued to use the same plastic housing down thru the years in any number of different "name-plate" product lines.

THERE WAS NOTHING ABOUT WHAT FILTER TO ORDER.

It would be interesting to examine the minds at the executive level of GM, why they decided on some years for some GM "name-plate" products.... not to have the air-box manufacturer die-cut the opening for an air filter, but did cut it on others.

What makes this especially puzzling is that the air box itself is molded plastic ( pretty tough stuff - had to use specialized cutting tools to get the "slit" for the filter open), with the mold clearly designed for an opening for the air system filter. Even the "slit" and "stub" for quickly removing the filter holder is molded in, ready to install the so called "door" / filter holder.

Yes - I "get it" to this extent. GM may be correctly assuming that most people who buy pick-up trucks only keep them for a couple of years, only operate them where there is little or no dust, pollen, or other particulate matter in the air, are not allergic, so it is of no concern that the unprotected heating and cooling coils in the air system start getting clogged up with smelly and potentially dangerous crap.

In any event, all the filters I have looked at will not fit into the slit I cut. The instructions are clear they state " CAREFULL CUT OUT THE CABIN FILTER ACCESS PANEL..KEEP THE TOOL INSIDE THE GROVE AT ALL TIMES"

Now the question is - what do the instructions mean by "INSIDE" ? By cutting the slit as directed, i.e. "inside"...it is too narrow to accept any filter with the parts numbers provided in this forum.

Anyone have any ideas ? Clearly I will have to "butcher out" the slit wide enough to fit any of the filters available at local parts stores, or give up the project and re-seal the air-box access panel I made.

Sure would like some help / discussion - hopefully photos, of EXACTLY how much to cut out.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Tom !
Thank you for your post, and the splendid photo. Yes, of course that is an excellent shot of the GM plastic housing - of interest - mine dosnt look like that...at least not any more, since I've already cut out the hole for the filter.

The problem is, as I noted, I think the instructions that came with the AC Delco "door" are incorrect - no way ANY filter is going into that slot if the cut-out is made INSIDE that ridge.

I am about to cut out some more to fit the correct filter. To be continued !

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
OK, this is going to be a bit confusing, but here goes:

It sounds as if you cut inside the inner rectangle (in red). That is not correct.

You need to cut between the inside of the outside plastic wall of the housing (yellow), and the outside edge of that inner rectangle (red).
So cut between the yellow and red lines.
They've basically made an outline in the plastic all the way around the inner rectangle that you use as a trace.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
OK, this is going to be a bit confusing, but here goes:

It sounds as if you cut inside the inner rectangle (in red). That is not correct.

You need to cut between the inside of the outside plastic wall of the housing (yellow), and the outside edge of that inner rectangle (red).
So cut between the yellow and red lines.
They've basically made an outline in the plastic all the way around the inner rectangle that you use as a trace.
:huh::facepalm:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts