Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I’m doing a cab swap right now on my 09 lmm, it had a cab fire so everything it toast... but I did come across a complete 09 ltz 3500 gas truck cab that is the same color for cheap so I bought it! Before I get into this swap I wanted some input if there is anything different between the gas and the diesel cabs as far as wiring.. glow plugs transmition etc. I know there is a difference in the older body style trucks between the two. Any input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 Chevy LMM
16,207 Posts
Just the pedal and gauges and of course the brake system. But what are you going to do about the VIN?
The BCM's are different as well IIRC or at the very least you will have to get these reprogrammed for the correct VIN.
Either way it looks like you will have a salvage title.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
VIN plate would be my only concern. Everything else should swap over between the two cabs. As Tim alluded to, you'll have to do a security relearn for the modules in the new cab to match the diesel's ECM, if everything in the old cab is burnt up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply guys, the BCM from the burnt cab still looks to be in good shape, as do the peddles/brake system. Now for the vin problem, the Provence where I live(Canada) the truck will have to go through a body Integrity and a mechanical inspection it will be branded as “rebuilt” but still able to insure.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I cant remember off the top of my head, but I believe the last cab swap we did gasser to diesel, there was something hydroboost related on the firewall bolt pattern or something along those lines. It was an easy fix, the firewall had a dimple where it needed to be placed. other than that, it was a direct fit swapping everything over.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Good Luck and keep us posted.

I salute you for having the fortitude to take this on and not give up on the truck :thumb:

Now-a-days the prevailing attitude would be to say its too hard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I got the cab switched over I left everything as is on the gas cab (The brake system is identical so I haven’t swapped it.. yet) Everything in the cab works as it should, even when I turn the key the glow plug indicator light turns on(I don’t have a cluster from a diesel yet still using the gas cluster). My problem is I have a no crank no start issue. The theft light is on and the “service theft Deterrent system” is displaying on the screen(Im sure this is my NCNS issue) I also have the service air bag and service brakes light on. Shouldn’t be a big deal, but the problem is my scan tool( snap on solus) will not communicate with this too things, so I think there is a bigger issue at play. I did swap the ecm and bcm but still the same issues. Any ideas?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Is it a VIN Code thing?

The cab (gas truck donor) and chassis (original truck) modules are encoded to different vins (pretty sure)

so all the modules need to be synched to the VIN that goes with the ECM and original truck.:2cents::2cents:

I do know if the antitheft module gets "angry" it can cause a myriad of issues that will mask themselves and drive you in circles

No clue how that's done but that would be my thought.

Somebody way smarter will chime in provide insight :D:D

On the bright side

This new problem is a direct result of hard work and progress

the glass is half full and you are closer to the end than before:thumb::eek::bigglasse

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
You just swapped the cab right? From a gasser?

Swap with the cab harness from your old diesel cab, along with the ecm, fuse panels and gauge cluster.... basically all the important electrical systems.

Should be fine after you do that :) hope this helps :thumb:

Edit:
Also, you may need to "modify" the harness connector port carrier in the dash carrier unit (the dash panel) to make the diesel harness connector for the gauge cluster fit correctly within the dash carrier. Gm dash carriers have unit numbers. They may look the same on the exterior but the gauge cluster area behind the cluster is typically different between gassers, diesels, engine sizes... etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I just swapped the cab over, I do not have the old diesel cab harness as it had a fire, and is why I’m doing this. This morning I swapped the gasser cluster into my dads 08 diesel and it all worked how it should. I know with pre 07.5 you need to have the diesel cluster. I’m going to keep working away at it today, at least I hope to get it started today. It’s taking up to much shop space.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s done! After a day of messing with the gasser dash, sadly I gave up. Went to a local wrecker bought a dash with all the wiring. I then set both dashed on the floor of the shop cut all the lume off them both and stared at them. I could not find one wire different between the two, Oh well. I then taped the wires back up stuffed the dash into the truck(put the gasser cluster in it) and it started right up... everything works how it should. Thanks for all the sugestions everyone.!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts