Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2500 cc didn't come with cab lights, but my dealer/shop manager said they could do it and the price doesn't bother me. I'm just a little nervous about removal/replacement of the headliner and everything else that will be affected during the procedure. Has anyone had this done or know of someone who did? Did they have trouble with the headliner, rattles, or anything else afterward? (I'm assuming that the headliner will have to be removed.)

Thanks in advanced for the help...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My feeling is that anything that can leak, will eventually leak. I like the looks of the lights, but didn't order them for that reason. Good lick in your choice.

·
Registered
747 Posts
rtquig said:
My feeling is that anything that can leak, will eventually leak. I like the looks of the lights, but didn't order them for that reason. Good lick in your choice.

DITTO!

·
Registered
612 Posts
We really like the look of our 3500's cab lights at night ... about a year ago a friend had a body shop add a set to his 1500 Z71 ... hasn't had any problems with them that I am aware of

Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a Ford PSD before my D-Max ,and when I got it,I had the dealer install the cab lights.They looked factory,never leaked and I had no rattles.I also know others that have had it done with no problems.You won't regret it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Properly installed lights aren't gonna leak. Go for it - and use plenty of sealant.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I've had three GM's with cab lights. One i installed myself. Never had any leaks.

I like them. I think they give the truck a "truck" look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the input!!!!!! I was 90% sure I was going to do it, now I'm 100% sure am scheduling for after the holidays. My dealer said less than $300.00 for everything and it will be factory fit and finish. I am now considering a remote start. (Read about "Astroflex" on this site and am researching it. Any other brands you like?) I'm also still trying to decide which fuel filter system to go with, read alot of Nicktane users here. There is so much to a diesel to learn......

·
Registered
410 Posts
i also like the cab marker lights..my dash came equipped with the switch which must mean i'm prewired..will go for it in the future. am more interested in custon fog lamps first....these are great in snow and fog..later bc

·
Registered
861 Posts
i installed my lights after i bought my truck and am very happy. i have had no problems and i think it mkaes my truck look bad a$$. a truck isn't a truck with out the lights.

·
Registered
410 Posts
tony, thanks for the heads up on the lightswitch button on dash, it will get use later in its life...sparing her from the roadsalt for now..bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got them and really like the looks of them; everyone else seems to like them, too.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Razorbackfan, did you go with the OEM or aftermarket lights. My last two trucks had them and really liked the look. If you went with OEM did they come with measurements of the holes? Also how did you make the square holes? Also did the OEM end lights come two to a pack? I really want them but really do not want to make square holes.

Also the last two did not leak.

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've seen several people mention the square holes. I think there's some confusion on that (might be me that's confused, but I don't think so). The Pacer kit (mentioned in previous post and the one I installed) and possibly others include what appear to be black plastic spacers. They have a square shank and at first glance appear to require square holes to mate with. However, that is NOT the case. You just drill plain old round pilot holes (I think mine were 1/8 inch). I used the 'spacers' during the drilling process to keep the drill aligned at the proper angle and I'm fairly certain that is their intended purpose. You cannot leave them in place (as bushings) because they are too long and will not allow the housing gaskets to get a good seal. I suppose you could trim them to fit, but that doesn't seem necessary as long as you don't overtighten the screws.

A square drill bit is not required...

Edited by: dMaxCruiser

1 - 20 of 25 Posts