Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an 05 4x2 Kodiak. On the invoice it states that it has rear differential lock. In the owners manual it states there is a button on the dash to engage and disengage this. The dealer said there is no such button and is not sure what the manual is talking about. Those of you that have rear differential lock do you have a lock and unlock button on it? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was wondering:exactly: the same thing . On my truck's list of features the locking differential is listed but the button shown in the manual is not present. Mine's a 2004. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
498 Posts
The manual is inclusive from C4-C8 MDT's. On the C6-non LoPro, C7, C8, and C8 Tandem, the differential is manually engaged (like a HDT Air Locker). On the C4, C5, and C6 LoPro you either have Locking Differential, Electronic Traction Control (via ABS), or standard differential. If the invoice says Locking differential, then that is what you have, its on all the time.

RF

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks RF. You seem to know alot about these trucks. What module or programmer would you recommend?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The locking differential on the C-4500/5500 series is a Eaton locking differential. Usually called a G-80 on the spec list. Unless something has changed it is not a manually controled unit so there is no dash switch.

You usually do not get a manual controlled locking differential until the C-6500 and larger models.

·
Registered
498 Posts
CB-Doc. Can't help you with the programmers or modules since I don't use or plan to install any. With more than 200K miles on the 03 (LB7), mostly towing doubles (Fiver + wiggle-wagon), I've not felt a need to "enhance" the truck's power. As a Million Mile OTR tractor/dry freight O/O I've concluded that this is a "working truck", which was never meant to win any races. It climbs hills like a big truck (before 500+ HP HD-trucks were common), rides like a big truck, and handles like a big truck, so I operate it like a big truck. The goal is to arrive alive, don't endanger or anoy anyone else on the road, and never worry about getting there ahead of the pack. I leave that to the pick-up crowd who blow black smoke, can afford to buy dozens of tires every year, and whine about overheating and high EGT's. If it ain't broke, why try to fix it?

RF

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RF,

I agree with you that it is a truck and treat it as such. My only goal in a module or programmer is 1. increased mileage and 2. just a little more torque. I haul a 40' LQ horse trailer about 50k a year hauling to rodeos and barrel racings for my daughters. It was the best move I made going to the MDT over the pickup. Max I'm hauling 18k so I didn't think the lowest tow setting of about 30 hp and 60 lbs. torque would hurt much. Currently I'm getting 8 mpg and have been told with a PPE or Bullydog I could easily bump that up to 10 mpg with normal driving. I would be interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
498 Posts
CB-Doc,

Animal is right. After the first 1K or so you will see .1 or more improvements everytime you fill-up. There are limitations to this, but expect roughly 10 MPG at 20K then it will gradually settle at 12 (least thats what the LB7's got). I'm shure you realize that your gross is roughly 30K going down the road (Truck + trailer + beasts + gear), and hills and head-winds can have a great affect on your mileage.

Congrats on your new truck....looking sharp.

RF

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have never even driven a 4500/5500, but I have looked at them walking around at the local dealer and I could have sworn I saw a diff lock button on the dash. I could be wrong, but I really think I saw one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Animal and RF thank you very much for your help. I'm looking forward to the increased mileage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW RF you are close on the gross weight. My truck weighs 10,200, my trailer empty is 13,500. With four horses, water, fuel, etc. I weighed 28,900 last weekend.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have never even driven a 4500/5500, but I have looked at them walking around at the local dealer and I could have sworn I saw a diff lock button on the dash. I could be wrong, but I really think I saw one.
SBREM,

The button you thought was the Diff/Lock is the PTO engage/disengage on trucks equipted with the PTO option. Sort of looks like this:

.----------------.
|   \ __ X__==    |
|   \          ==    |
|        .--.         |
|        '--'          |
'----------------'

RF

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RF,

What does the pto option give you? I have it but didn't know what you would use it for outside of some commercial applications. My invoice also says that I have a 150 amp generator. What does that do and where is it? Yes the dealer does not know anything about these trucks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
OH MY, CB....Change to a commercial truck dealer that sells Class 5-8 trucks, before you get taken to the cleaners.

The 150A Alt. option is (vice the single 105A or dual 105A alts.) is to have sufficient electrical charging for high amp truck batteries (should be Dual 770 CCA or Tripple 700A batts), and still be able to charge trailer batteries (which can be up to 4 6Volt Battery Packs on high end Fultimer units).

The PTO option is thrown in to support other than actual Power Take-Off units, such as hydrolic pumps (for plows trucks or wreckers), generators, or rotary vein pumps (fire trucks, etc.). One such use is the high-iddle function through the Cruise Control, which in below freezing temperatures, kicks up the RPMs and closes the Exhaust Brake (if equiped) to rapidly bring up the engine temps at start-up (as described in your owner's manual). It also allows you to manually raise the RPM's for up to two pre-programmed RPM (reprogrammable by the dealer), to "kick-up" the iddle while standing still (trans in Neutral or Park, handbrake on), such as during long waits in traffic queues in hot weather, to circulate coolant and spin the fan faster, while the A/C is on, preventing overheating conditions without having to hold the accelerator down. You always have the option to have PTO driven accessories later if you need to, with the PTO option installed. I know of a 4500 owner/RV'er that uses a PTO driven hydrolic pump to operate a crane to lift a full-dress GoldWing onto his hauler bed (instead of riding up a ramp), so that he can take his "toys" with him on his RV adventures. Its all very neat looking, but requires a 108" CA to leave space for the Fiver not to hit the Bike in tight turns...makes for a Loooonnng-Drink-Of-Water.

I hope this all makes sense for you. Again, seek a commercial dealer for your service and support. That local Chevy shop knows nothing about these trucks and have to "guess" whenever you bring it in for service....Bad Mo-Jo.

RF

·
Registered
49 Posts
On the C-4500 -C5500 series the traction control switch operates a computer controled traction system that uses the anti lock brake system to control traction. My truck has a locking differential' which doesn't have a switch.
Wayne

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RF,

You are right on all accounts with regard to the Chevy dealer. Unfortunately the nearest commercial dealer is 150 miles away from me.

Thank you for the explanation on the pto and generator, you too Animal. My invoice says Battery 1500 CCA Dual. I assume that means two 750 cca batteries.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yes Wayne, there is the "Electronic Traction Control" option. The button is a "Defeat" button which turns traction control off (Red LED ON), otherwise it is always on (Red LED OFF). It was a new option when I got my truck, and I did not want to be a guinea pig..... Then Moma RF got her new Supercharged Impala SS, which came with it (FWD) and we experimented in snow, mud, sand, and I became a believer!!! Had I had to re-order my hauler, I'd get the ETC option as opposed to the LRD, for the reasons tire wear on the duallies and the near 4x4 performance in icy parking lots (rather than rocking, the ETC applies the brake on the side that slips, transfering power to the other side. On ice, it rapidly alternates from one side to the other which works much better than rocking back and forth).

RF

·
Registered
710 Posts
It also allows you to manually raise the RPM's for up to two pre-programmed RPM (reprogrammable by the dealer), to "kick-up" the iddle while standing still (trans in Neutral or Park, handbrake on), such as during long waits in traffic queues in hot weather, to circulate coolant and spin the fan faster, while the A/C is on, preventing overheating conditions without having to hold the accelerator down.

Actually 3 preset speeds. Referred to as PTO Standby (factory default 850 rpm), PTO Set speed (factory default 1250 rpm) and PTO Resume (factory defaul 1700 rpm) speed. all 3 are programmable within certain parameters. The PTO ramp ups will cut off and the engine will go back to base idle if the brake pedal is depressed or the transmission is placed in gear.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts