Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our truck died the other day. Loaded up, pulling our fifth-wheel toyhauler over the mountains. On a long relatively flat spot, it lost power. Rattling bad, CEL on. Pressed OnStar, they pinpointed our location, and told me it was dead, have to be towed. Unfortunately, we were using the truck for our intended purpose; towing out to the desert with the family on board. GM told me they would send a tow truck out to pick it up, but wouldn't / couldn't tow our fifth-wheel trailer too. Problem now. We get to unhitch our 32' trailer, loaded up with our four dirt bikes and gear. The tow truck can only carry one of us, so... wife, son, and dogs will have to stay with the stranded trailer. At least they had a pepper spray... So, I get busy restoring the truck back to "stock". Pull Edge EZ, very simple. Next, spend a bunch of time burning my hands removing EGR blocker plate. Not fun. Then, de-wire the FingerStick. That was really not good, as I had soldered it in. But, I did get it all off before the tow truck arrived. Loaded up, said goodbyes to my beloved family, and off to "THE DEALER". Keep in mind, this is on a Saturday, so I imagine no one will even look at the truck until Monday. What would you do if your family, trailer, bikes, & dogs were sitting by the side of the road near NOTHING? Think of anyone you know who has a fifth-wheel hitch in their truck. We're fairly new to the toyhauler scene, and naturally none of the folks we go with has a 5'er. Now I'm thinking of a $1000 towing bill to a commercial outfit to tow it home 100 miles. Yikes. Then, a miracle happened. Truly... As soon as we got to Quality Chevrolet in Escondido CA, a "tech" saw it roll off the truck and came over. Within two minutes (really) he had his tech2 plugged in and diagnosing the problem. "Injector harness failure. Got one in stock sir, I'll get right on it." An hour later, I'm back on the road, hauling butt back out to the stranded folks. Well, not exactly hauling, the performance mods were still in the tool box at the trailer.

So, the beautiful Duramax let us down. Could have been way worse had we been going up the long, steep grade out of town. Fortunately it waited until a flat section to croak. But, our pals at GM came through. All we lost was a day of riding my new CRF250X. Even the family had some adventure witnessing a big t-bone crash right in front of them, and the ensuing events helping the passengers, etc. Another miracle, shall we say. But that's a story for another time...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the same problem with my truck except I wasn't pulling a trailer. I had all the family 5 total in route to the polarexpress in Williams AZ. We got to ride in the truck on top of the tow truck for 60miles. I then had to spend a couple of hrs taking all the mods off too. I now only have plug and play stuff. It seems the injector harness failure is quite common.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Injector harness failure...been there, done that. I was towing a 40' fifth wheel and the local dealer DIDN'T have one in stock. Removed Edge, finger stick, ETC. Spent 2 days in a church parking lot. Only 800 miles from home.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
It seems that the problem is the harness itself, is prone to 'shorting out' due to highway vibration. When my harness went south, they were on natinal backorder for 2 months! I just got lucky and called a few dealers in the area and one of them just happened to have one instock. Nothing really fancy in my opinion...just a special clip and a harness bracket next to injector number 7. Took the dealer all of 30 minutes to install. Really easy to reach the backside of the engine on a Kodiak. Just gotta remove the doghouse in the cab and you are looking at the topside of the turbo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts