Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post and I am currently looking to get my first diesel truck, a stock 2006 3500 SRW LBZ with about 90,000 miles on it. They are currently asking about $26,000 for the truck. Typical issues of some rust on the rockers, but clean otherwise. Is this price in the right range?

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
First time post and I am currently looking to get my first diesel truck, a stock 2006 3500 SRW LBZ with about 90,000 miles on it. They are currently asking about $26,000 for the truck. Typical issues of some rust on the rockers, but clean otherwise. Is this price in the right range?
Welcome to DieselPlace

Do some footwork first. Go over to the Kelly Bluebook site and look up a similarly equipped truck and see what the valued price is then research local car ads and craigslist to see what a similar truck asking price is. Then take the two price ranges and you'll have your ballpark figure.
(y)

·
Premium Member
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT ECSB Duramax LBZ
640 Posts
And don't forget the CarFax, which can show if it's been in any accidents.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
FWIW, about 2 months ago I was checking prices. Thinking of selling my LBZ again. Anyhow, discovered KBB is not very accurate right now with the massive price increase of vehicles. KBB showed my truck at like 16K, I think. But then when I checked ads it was anywhere from 9K to 35K. A big range. And yes, you have to of course take all the variables into account, but KBB didn't seem to be up to date on the massive vehicle inflation due to the computer chip shortage. As an example, my wife's 2012 Honda Fit that booked for like 4K a few years ago is now booking for 10K. We only paid 16K in 2012.

So, if now is anything like it was 2 months ago, I'd say put a lot more faith in the ads than the books. And, if those prices are still accurate today, I could find no good reason why my 2006 LBZ with about 93K on it wouldn't sell for top dollar (35Kish) since it's a desert truck with zero rust, clean, loaded, all working, factory and one owner.

As always, tho, buyers set the market. Whatever they are willing to pay is the price. Regardless of what the books are saying. So check those ads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the responses and with the amount of fluctuations in the market I wanted to get some feedback from the community. KBB and NADA put the price somewhere between $21,000 and $28,000. It also appears to have a clean title and no accidents.

·
Administrator
22,306 Posts
Appreciate the responses and with the amount of fluctuations in the market I wanted to get some feedback from the community. KBB and NADA put the price somewhere between $21,000 and $28,000. It also appears to have a clean title and no accidents.
Then I would deduct the rocker repairs from their asking price and offer up 20K and see if they bite

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
If you delay any longer you are probably going to lose it. Not even 1/3 of its life has been used up. With new trucks at $65k to $85k yours seems a good value. I have been offered $29.5k for mine. Yes, the mileage is current on this date.

Reactions: mp06011999

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Really hard to tell being remote and on the web. It depends on the cost to repair the rockers in your area and your attitude about quality (or low quality) work. Some people care, some not so much. As a bench mark my truck has been garaged its entire life, paint is pristine, and the factory cosmoline still covers the entire underside. Its a California truck and has never seen snow or salt. Obviously no sun damage and it has the LT interior in great condition. The $29.5k offer was fair but I declined because the LBZ smog requirements are so much less than current tech and I don't need more power. If you are not a "hands-on" person repairs can be incredibly expensive. You need to look under the skin of the truck and try an determine if it has good bones! Has it ever had a tuner, is the front end lose (ball joints, etc.), it could be time for brakes, is it modified in any way, (like a Banks cold air intake, etc), does the trans slip (or shudder) a little going from 5th to 6th. There is just too much to advise for a web forum. Bottom line you need to determine its past history and how it was used. (heavy towing, off-road play, contractor work-site loads, salt damage, etc). If you could contact the former owner that would tell you a lot. I'm not sure but the dealer's tech tool can pull a lot of information out of the computer. Try and get as much history from the computer as you can. Good luck.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 10 of 10 Posts