Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking into buying a used Predator. It came off of a 2002 Duramax. Will I need to do anything special to it, in order to put it in my 2004? I'm assuming its not the newest version. Can I send it in being the second owner?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
366 Posts
The tuner will probably be vin locked to the other truck so you will have to send it to predator. They will unlock it for a certain amount of $$.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Some vin lock and sone dont. No one really knows why. If it is vin locked, I'd just go with a new one. It'll save you thr trouble in paying a couple hundred bucks to have it unlocked so you could use it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before buying it, how can I tell if it is VIN locked? Also, somebody on the Diablo website told me that all the previous owner had to do was restore it to the stock settings. I don't think he worked for Diablo, he was just responding to the messege posted.

Andy

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
The only way that I know of is for you (or the seller) to restore the factory tune in the original truck, and try to install a tine into another truck. I suppose that you could ask the seller to do this to confirm, but you will be going off of his word alone.

Restoring the factory tune does not guarantee that the device is not VIN locked to the original vehicle in an LB7.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a way to check it before I buy it from him? I'd hate to buy it and then get bent over if its locked.

Andy

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
Nope.

I sold a Hypertech to a guy from here down in Tennessee. He called and said it was vin locked. I didnt even know Hypertech did such a thing. He sent it back, and I tuned a buddy's truck with it here just fine. So, I dont know what the deal was with that.

Just so you know, there's a vendor here who's selling Predators new for around $300. Thats wicked cheap. Most sites, they're going for anywhere between $400-450.

·
Registered
38 Posts
my buddy bought a used diablo and it was fine for a while until it lost his stock program then he was screwed out of the $150 "great deal" he got.

like nick said i think X diesel has em' for that price it's worth the money when, if ever you run into a problem...ya know

just my .02

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Mezzanine;1560730; said:
Is there a way to check it before I buy it from him? I'd hate to buy it and then get bent over if its locked.

Andy
If you plug it in you can go to the options screen. Under check tool it will tell you if the unit is locked or not. Mine says unit is unlocked.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unit453;1560733; said:
Nope.

I sold a Hypertech to a guy from here down in Tennessee. He called and said it was vin locked. I didnt even know Hypertech did such a thing. He sent it back, and I tuned a buddy's truck with it here just fine. So, I dont know what the deal was with that.

Just so you know, there's a vendor here who's selling Predators new for around $300. Thats wicked cheap. Most sites, they're going for anywhere between $400-450.

Where would I find one of these vendor's?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
On the main page, there's a link listed supporting vendors.

Thouroughbred Diesel has great prices. Thats where I got mine from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts