Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Bushwacker Pocket Style Flares? I was wondering if they extend out enough beyond the stock flares to help prevent the paint chips from small stones fling out of the treads.

http://www.aztrucks.com/Product.asp?Product=202

Does anyone have any pics of them on the 03 or 04 chevy?

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/1254/lc/pfni

Kind of a small picture, but it gives you an idea. I'm going to get the "cut-out" series Bushwackers (which is the style pictured) for my truck, and have them painted to match the truck. They should stick out about two inches more than stock, which should reduce paint chips (one reason I am buying them).

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sp33d,

When you say "cut-out" series, what do you mean, I didn't see that term? Areyou referring to the simulated bolts and yhe recessed areas that they are in? Also, I didn't see a spec that mentions that they extend out 2" beyond stock flares. Have you seen them on a truck?

Thanks!

2DAMAX

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX said:
sp33d,

When you say "cut-out" series, what do you mean, I didn't see that term? Areyou referring to the simulated bolts and yhe recessed areas that they are in? Also, I didn't see a spec that mentions that they extend out 2" beyond stock flares. Have you seen them on a truck?

Thanks!

2DAMAX

I have the same problem and have been checking the internet extensively. Also have a bud who works at 4 wheel parts.

Only the cut-out flares will come close, and likely not completely fix my problem. They require some metal trimming, something I am not interested in doing. I think I have come up with an alternate solution which I have yet to implement. PM me if you are willing to do some fab yourself, we can discuss my idea. . . .

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
The cut-out style is pictured in the link I gave you. As far as I know, they are the only ones available for the Silverado HD. They have a pocket style flare, but it's made more or less for jeeps.

I haven't actually seen the flares, but judging the limited pictures I have seen of the flares, they all appear to stick out about 2". I've got some on order that will be here in about a week. If you want, I can send you pictures when they get here.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
sp33d said:
The cut-out style is pictured in the link I gave you. As far as I know, they are the only ones available for the Silverado HD. They have a pocket style flare, but it's made more or less for jeeps.

I haven't actually seen the flares, but judging the limited pictures I have seen of the flares, they all appear to stick out about 2". I've got some on order that will be here in about a week. If you want, I can send you pictures when they get here.

Chad;

I really want to see pics of your flares compared to your tire trackwidth. Look forward to you next post. . . .

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Here is a series of e-mails with Bushwhacker. My sense is they do make a pocket flare for your trucks but it only extends protection another inch . . . .

"John,

The extension is measured from the fender out so it would not be in addition to the factory flare.

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:41:58 -0700

>Thanks for your note. When you quote the amount of extension is this in addition to the current factory flare?

>-----Original Message-----

>From: Customer Service [mailto:[email protected]]

>Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 9:29 AM

>To: John

>Subject: Re: Cut-out Pocket and no-pocket flares

>John,

>The Cut-Out Flares do require you to cut sheet metal from the wheel well opening. The Extend-A-Fender extends out 1-1/2". We do also offer a Pocket Style flare which has the Cut-Out look but there is no cutting or drilling required. The Pocket Flare extends out 2".

>---------- Original Message ----------------------------------

>From: "John"

>Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:55:35 -0700

>

>>Hi;

>>I was reading your website about your fender flares. I am going to have to do something to extend the OEM flares on my '02 GMC HD2500 4x4 due to the larger tires and the lift kit. The lift spindles and the 2" rear wheel spacers put the tire edge out about 2" beyond the factory fender flares.

>>

>>1) If I use Cut-out flares will I need to do metal trimming on my model? (not my first option)

>>2) On my model, if I go with the extend-a-fender how much farther out will the flare go beyond the factory?

>>Thanks,

>>John

>Bushwacker Customer Service

Sincerely,

Bushwacker Customer Service"Edited by: Deadeye

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
Deadeye,

I had ordered the cut-outs that required metal trimming, but I have put the order on hold with my vendor pending a little more information about the cut-outs that don't require metal trimming that Bushwacker customer service mentioned in your email. I've emailed them for more information about them. If they do have cut-out styles that don't require metal modification, I will be ordering them instead. I'll still post pics of them installed, though it may be a few weeks as I plan to color match them before installing them. But I'll at least let you guys know about the setup once I receive them.

Thanks for the heads-up on the style that doesn't require trimming. I really didn't want to trim, but I was unable to find any information otherwise.

ChadEdited by: sp33d

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX said:
Has anyone had the factory flares off in order to measure how far they extend beyond the fender so we can determine if the 2" that the pocket flares extend beyond the fender provides any real gain?

This question has gone through my mind a couple times but I have no answer. My 'guess' is that the factory flare is only an inch out from the steel fender.

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
Here is a pic of the flares on an '04. Part number for all four: 40917-02

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
According to Bushwacker:

"The Pocket Style flare extends out 2" which is 1.25" more than the OE Style."

I have measured my OE flare and it only extendeds out 3/4" from the metal, so if the above statement is true, it would give a little more protection. I'm not sure if they'll cover the 35" tires... But I think I'm going to get a set and color match them to the truck.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've got the Cut-outs on my truck. I love them! Yes there was some sheet metal work to do to get them in, but that's why they call them Cut-outs right?

The first pic is my baby with the stock flares and the second pic is her with the cut-outs installed. If anyone is curious about the install difficulty, I do not consider myself very mechanically adept, and I didn't have too much problems. All you need is a cutting wheel on an angel grinder, a hammer to bend one weld seam over, a drill, a few odd sockets, and ALOT of courage to cut into your truck. I was terrified at first, but I'm very pleased with the results!!

I'm not sure how much further the cut-outs extend than stock, but the cut-outs come out about 4" from the body. As for flying rocks, I know they save alot, but with my lift and aggressive tires, I still get a whole pile flying past my windows as you can imagine!!

Edited by: Zorganov

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Hey Zorg;

could you post another pic on the sunny side, and a little closer up? seriously considering what you did but I would like a better look.

BTW, how much further out is your track width from stock due to your Trailmaster lift? Did you put any wheel spacers on the rear to align the track width to the front?

Thanks,

·
Registered
522 Posts
OK Deadeye, sorry about the delay, but here goes to hopefully answer some of your questions.

Here is a pic of the sunny side, hopefully it's close enough, if not, I'll see what else I can do.

Next you asked about Track. Yes, my track in the front is slightly wider than stock. I measured it and I'm about 3/4" wider on each side. Where I took my measurements from are the two bolts I've highlighted in blue. Before the lift, these two points were at the same place. The distance between the two red lines is added track width.

As per wheel spacers, yes I've got a set of those in as well. I used 1 1/2" spacers and love them! I did however have to trim the ends of the wheel studs by about 1/4" to use the spacers. If one were to go with a wider spacer, this would not be an issue.

As for your questions in the PM you sent me, I had to cut 1 1/2" at the front and rear of the rear fenderwell and slowly tapered down till I reached the body contour line. This line is seen at the very top of the photo.

For the front I had to trim back 1 1/4" and take a hammer to one of the weld seams just to bed it over. Not to worry though, this seam is hidden behind the fender-well liner and cannot be seen at all. The liner is curled back during install, and then simply swung back into position after install is complete.

I cannot comment on your rear fender-well liners as I'm not familiar with how they're mounted. I would imagine that one should be able to trim them slightly if they got in the way.

I appoligize about the mud everywhere, but lets face it, some of use buy a truck to have it look shiny and pull a huge fifth wheel down the highway, and others of us buy a truck to take her where few others venture. Can you guess which group I fall into?

Cheers!!

-Zorganov

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I ordered some cut-outs from Accessory-1 yesterday for $492 including shipping. Should be here in 10 days. Does anyone have a link to installation for these ON A GM TRUCK? Thanks,

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
I ordered a set of the pocket style cut-outs from performancelifts.com today. $358 shipped. Should have them Friday and hope to install Saturday. I'll post some pics when I'm done. BTW, these are the direct replacement style (no cutting or drilling required). I'm not sure I like the looks of them yet... Will have to see when they get here. If not, they'll be up for sale and I'll try the "real" cut-outs that Deadeye purchased.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts