Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let me say, spending $1100 on a $2500 rig may not make the most financial sense. But then again, we spend about $1000 a year on our 89 honda accord. But you know what? Payments are a real *****.

Anyhow, from the previous post, my truck stopped. Which is wierd. The tranny stopped moving us forward. Well, I got the truck towed to my mechanic's shop. In asking if he did tranny's, he showed me two others that were waiting. Plus, he wanted a full price to rebuild-not including upgraded parts that I wanted. So....

I had it towed up to gresham transmission here in town based on a recommendation from a guy here in town that runs a tow company. I figured that guy abuses his tranmissions. Anyhow, harry from Gresham Transmission knows his stuff. He did question my desire to drop the stock stall speed. However, he got on the phone to those in the know and ordered what I needed. But, like anything else, old rigs have secrets.

*Transfer case was leaking fluid. $100 for seal rebuild.
*Tranny case was toast due to rear thrust washer attempting to weld itself into the case.
*"upgraded" original converter was toast. It now will live it's life as a baby rattle.
*Transmission case was a rebuild. :eek:

So, as you can see, the transmission was a rebuild to begin with. I had a feeling as much because of the upgraded cooler and pan. I also know that the truck came with a massive hitch and mudflaps. With mudflaps and hitch, more than likely, this thing was hauling quite a bit of weight. I know for sure that the previous owner towed a couple horses. So, now I have it. it will spend the bulk of its time hauling me-and stuff to and from the store. If I want a hauler, I will upgrade the motor with turbo. For now, I need it to hold together for a few years.

Anyhow, after picking up the rig, I could tell that the converter from Allison rocked. For the first time, the torque (however small it is) is actually getting utilized well. Now remember, the old converter was slowly dying. So I assume that this converter will feel better just because it is, well, new and fully funtioning. However, a 900 stall speed rocks.

There is one thing though, the kickdown is something to get use to. Before, when I hopped on the freeway, I could put my foot into it without kicking into second. Now it drops down pretty easy giving me the willies about over stressing an old engine. Anyhow...I love it. I highly recommend the allison converter and the shift kit-

And I recommend Gresham Transmission. These guys are fast, get the job done all with good communication. They also have a warranty on the tranny-so I have piece of mind. Of course, in the future, I would just do it myself. These turbo 400's are pretty straight forward but for the money, these guys did well.

Anyhow, there you go. Really happy.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Glad to hear you got it back on the road!

I don't like the way the kickdown works on my truck, either. I don't like the way it revs when you put your foot in it. Of course, mine has the overdrive tranny and it's got a lot of miles on it.

Congratulations! You just wrote the 1000th post on the 6.2L diesel section of the forum!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts