26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well this is day one of the swap here I go any info will help thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
well 6 hours in making good progress
Looks like you're making good progress and have the right shop and tools. Do you have a donor truck? You'll need quite a bit of stuff from a Duramax truck as you probably know. I installed a larger down pipe and high flow exhaust manifolds before i put Dmax in my suburban. Looks awesome!:thumb:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I have a 2006 3500 donor truck and just to make it simple I'm going to take the whole dash out of the donor and put it in the burb plus it dash is in better shape
I still have not figured out what to do with the fuel sending units and fuel pumps both trucks have dual tanks but the senders wont interchange :wtf1:

and I have to figure out how to hook the 4*4 module to the 2*4 harnes

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:eek:fftopic: and the paint on the motor the wife said she wanted a pretty motor

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes I have a 2006 3500 donor truck and just to make it simple I'm going to take the whole dash out of the donor and put it in the burb plus it dash is in better shape
I still have not figured out what to do with the fuel sending units and fuel pumps both trucks have dual tanks but the senders wont interchange :wtf1:

and I have to figure out how to hook the 4*4 module to the 2*4 harnes
My donor truck had 4x4 on the floor so It was easy for me to convert from the electric switch on dash to lever on the floor. Im sure someone will chime in on what to do. As far as the fuel and the two tank system, it seams like its a common problem that people ask on this site. I basically cheated on mine and it works great and gauge works. My 2007 suburban has two tanks and a split filler neck. So as your filling up, some fuel goes both tanks as your pouring diesel in it. Check to see if your burb does. I unhooked all the electric and fuel lines of rear tank but left tank vent lines alone. On the front tank I unhooked all electric but the two wires for your sending unit and unhooked fuel lines. I capped fuel lines off on both tanks. To join the two tanks afterwards I did a 1/2 fuel line between the two tanks using a 1/2 nipple( Found at NAPA) on rear tank and a diesel bottom sump(single line EBAY) to front front tank So it equalizes.(I see you have a large dump truck in background of your pictures, so you know what Im trying to say) Rear tank is higher in truck. On the front tank I purchased a bottom sump with a return line.(Ebay) You can pipe that right into your existing fuel lines. I think your donor truck just has 2 wires for the sending unit.You're going to want to use rear wiring harness from donor truck anyways.(Need the new transmission plugs in it) I wasnt crazy about the bottom sumps on bottom of the lower tank so I took the plastic tank cover off donor truck fuel tank to protect everything. Ive had zero issues with it even at 20 degrees below zero and always have enough fuel to motor. The only thing that I have noticed with it is that it stays full for a long time and the last 1/8th of a tank goes quickly. I have full range of the fuel gauge. If you use a suburban gas filler neck that is split ....make sure you punch out the end so that you can get a diesel fuel nozzle in it!!!!

·
Registered
940 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice I have not got back on here in a few days but the fuel tank thing that's just about what I did only thing I changed is the sending unit from the donor modified it some [made it shorter] and added a lift pump

well anyway on to yesterday got it running YAY still have to get the computers to communicate with each other :wtf:
So transmission adapter I got used on EBAY was cracked :wtf: bid mess once it started crack was in the web and they had it full of paint so I didn't see it
and the rest of the story engine misfiring 1,3,7 so I must be missing a ground or at least I hope
ALL and ALL it has not been to bad but still have a few bugs and maybe a rat or two that have to be found all electrical :bleah:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pic update

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's pretty impressive progress. Sucks about the cracks. Did you swap the steering columns? When I swapped my columns I had to use the original air bag from the suburban to get rid of air bag light. Also had to run a wire for the wait to start to back side of the dash for that to work. Had to make a tapered body lift to make the diesel fit and use radiator support from diesel to accept the diesel radiator. Looks awesome! You'll have guys checking it out every time you're in the parking lot!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well running into a hole lot of :wtf: changed the air bag yes but now for some reason the trans will not communicate with the truck and the check engine light has a dim blink to it I think the 2004 to 2006 harness may be missing a ground or a signal but finding it is proving impossible got any ideas

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
still searching

ok found the problem with the check engine light I was missing the MIL signal from the engine . And as we knew the wait to start light but in middle of finding that I discovered that there is a tap shift signal the had to also be pinned in I thought that would solve the trans problem but NO NO so I'm still searching for what is missing
did anyone have a problem getting the trans to talk to the truck I cant be the first

·
Registered
15 Posts
ok found the problem with the check engine light I was missing the MIL signal from the engine . And as we knew the wait to start light but in middle of finding that I discovered that there is a tap shift signal the had to also be pinned in I thought that would solve the trans problem but NO NO so I'm still searching for what is missing
did anyone have a problem getting the trans to talk to the truck I cant be the first
Yes I did. That was probably my biggest issue. I don't know if we have the same issue. I found that in the process of switching everything...I must have spread two of the female connectors in the transmission control module harness. I found it after two weeks of messing with it. Just happened to be plugging transmission control module in while checking for voltage and saw meter banging back and forth. I also had trans fluid in my harness going into allison. It will mess with the resistance of harness. What bcm are you using?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the bcm from the donor in it now just to get everything working once I get it all to work I will put the one from the burb back in and flash it and everything should work in theory I think it will
and found two more wires that go from c100 engine and trans plug to the test port got them in still waiting for case for trans soon as I get it ill see what happens hope to the scanner will pick up trans and I can find the problem

·
Registered
46 Posts
Keep up the good work man, I'm in the waiting section of my conversion for the electronics before mine will run. Troubleshooting sucks. Keep us up to date.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts