Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so saturday night i was given a ticket for the height of my rear bumper. Bumpers here in sask are supposed to be no more then 29.5" from the ground to the bottom. I was 32". Anyways he wrote me a ticket and said all vehicles require bumpers. I did some looking into it and found this directly from the city police website.

When are bumpers required?
Section 50 of The Vehicle Equipment Regulations.
• Requires passenger cars to be equipped with front & rear bumpers. • Requires trucks less than 4500 GVWR to be equipped with front bumper only.
• Bumpers are placed a specific heights to help protect pedestrians if hit by a vehicle. • Front and rear bumpers absorb some of the crash impact and reduce intrusion, thus reducing collision damage and personal injury.
• Bumper width must be equal to the vehicle track. Full width tire to tire of vehicle
What are legal bumper heights?
Sections 50 (1), (2), (3) of The Vehicle Equipment Regulations.
• On passenger cars bumper height must be between 380 and 560 millimeters above the road surface. • On trucks the lowest part of the bumper cannot be more than 750 millimeters above the road surface.
• Bumpers must have a vertical surface of at least 100 millimeters

So would you guys fight this? I want to but im wondering if ill be opening up a can of worms with the cop.
• Bumpers are placed a specific heights to help protect pedestrians if hit by a vehicle. • Bumpers absorb some of the crash impact thus reducing collision damage and personal injury.
• Bumper height standards increase the likelihood of bumpers contacting when two vehicles collide.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Requires trucks less than 4500 GVWR to be equipped with front bumper only
isn't trhat an out right there?

·
Registered
344 Posts
This is what I found. Law re 1987

Bumpers
50(1) Every passenger car shall be equipped with front and rear bumpers and
every other type A vehicle with a GVWR of 4500 kilograms or less shall be equipped
with front bumpers that:
(a) are securely mounted to the frame or chassis;
(b) have a vertical surface of at least 100 millimetres; and
(c) extend at least to the width of the original manufacturer’s track width.
(2) On cars, the centre part of the bumper shall be between 380 and 560
millimetres above the ground when the vehicle is unloaded on level ground and
tires are inflated within the range specified by the tire manufacturer.
(3) On type A vehicles with GVWR of 4500 kilograms or less, other than cars, the
height of the lowest part of the bumper shall be not more than 750 millimetres
above the road surface.

Law Updated on 09/12/2011 9:18:00 AM.

www.reginapolice.ca/vehicle/vehicle_modifications.pdf

• Requires passenger cars to be
equipped with front & rear bumpers.
Requires trucks less than 4500 GVWR
to be equipped with front bumper only.

• Bumpers are placed a specific heights to
help protect pedestrians if hit by a vehicle.
• Front and rear bumpers absorb some of
the crash impact and reduce intrusion,
thus reducing collision damage and
personal injury.
• Bumper width must be equal to the
vehicle track. Full width tire to tire of
vehicle.

They don't specify the weight but in the update but in 1987 law it does state KG so we can assume there was no reversal to LBS when updated. I have to agree with Dariac and say that the cop is trying to fill his quota. The only thing that is not spelled out is that the update was for the Regina police. If you were in Regina when you were issued the ticket then I would fight it. If you weren't then the question is, is there a different law in other cities or do they all use this rule?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i talked today with a good buddy who has been doing safeties on vehicles in the city for over 10 years. He said im screwed because the fact that i had a bumper on and it didnt meet the laws they have me right there. He said your better off to drive around town without one all together. I know it sounds like bullshit but he said he has been dealing with the law for years and has yet to see one ticket over turned in court. He said its going to be a waste of time for me to try and fight it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ouch. Ask your buddy if you can "add" something tho the bottom of the bumper, (weld bolt, etc and paint it black) so that it will be considered part of the bumper. This way you can keep the look and still be legal. Let us know.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Ouch. Ask your buddy if you can "add" something tho the bottom of the bumper, (weld bolt, etc and paint it black) so that it will be considered part of the bumper. This way you can keep the look and still be legal. Let us know.
exactly what I was going to post

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive been talking with the guy in charge of vehicle requirments for the province and he says i dont require a bumper at all. He is just getting everything in order then im gonna have a meeting with him. I just emailed him a copy of my ticket

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got a letter in the mail today from the police! Said they made an error with charging me with this and the ticket has been canceled!!!!

Chalk one up for the good guys!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Woohoo, chalk one for the good guys! It's nice having people in the know to help out. It would have been nice if the cop who ticketed you called and told you this in person and that a letter stating that was to follow. After all he did waste your time and cause undue stress!
Congrats on saving the cash, now that money can be put on the truck :D

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yah i was all set to order a new rear bumper from throttle down kustoms. LOL! probably still will, just not so much of a rush now

1 - 10 of 10 Posts