Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with Bullet Proof Steering at 262-673-4077 for beefer tierods since last October. I have have the first off the production line. I have the 2" keyways and I break a factory tierods everytime I go off road. My rake on my truck is 14 degrees put some may be more. They have them on there site as listed below: dvanced Automotive hnologies
========================

#TR9904GCQ14 TIE ROD KIT 99-04 Chevy/GMC 1/2 to 1-t PU/SUV/H2 IFS 4wd $549.00 (for highly lifted trucks) Includes 1 High-angle Close-Quarters™ 14-degree bend at each knuckle end with four upgraded Stage-II Chromemoly rod ends. Complete Trail-Proof set of two Tie Rod links, upper conversion brackets, fasteners, hardware, shims, tubing, and detailed instructions.

#TR9904GCQ24 24 DEGREE CLOSE QUARTERS BEND option (for severely lifted trucks) Includes all of the above but a much steeper bend on the tie rods for severe-angled tied rods on severely lifted trucks with no other option to prevent joint bind due to excessive angles. upgrade option for above steering system +$49.00 When ordered with above system

========================

Edited by: BassinRVer

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Very nice.....

I think the 550/600 price will scare most people away. 250-300 would be more realistic.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think about this, I have already spent 600.00 at the dealer ship in the past with replacing the factory tierods. So 550.00 to me is a nothing.

Or put it this way, you could get the Predator or get the Attitude. You get what you pay for.Edited by: BassinRVer

·
Registered
958 Posts
Those things look great, what's the diameter on them?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've said it before, as have many others, I don't think heims have any place in a daily driven steering system.

On top of that, the one end is single shear - isn't that a big no-no for a heim?

They look nice (actually beautiful), but I wouldn't use heims on something that sees a lot of miles, and could let go at any time (once wear has started). Use 'em on an off-road rig, sure, but not on a street rig. Sorry to bag on 'em, they look awesome, but not for *my* tow rig.

If I'm alone in this opinion (I know I'm not), then ignore this post...
Edited by: Joe E

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what Bullet Proof Says about their HEIMS:

By they way, as you can see by the tightness of the rod ends, these are much different than ALL the other so called "heims". Racers have been using this design for years, but for the most part, all of the other "heims" out there are garbage. They will wear fast and furiously. These are the ultimate and made up specifically just for me and steering applications only. It is always difficult to convince "old racers" that there actually IS a "heim" that exists that can have long life and strength to them. One of the reasons THESE little gems cost so darn much. The effort and labor and testing gone through to get these joints to the level of performance and reliability we have has taken 10 tough years. There are no others like this in the WORLD!

> http://bulletproofsteering.com/rodendspecs.html

In order to achieve major improvements over our already nearly perfect Bullet Proof Stage-I Special Duty(tm) Spherical Rod End design was a challenge to say the least. After years of research and development, that goal was finally achieved. The new Stage-II Extreme Duty(tm) Spherical Rod End is incredibly stronger, significantly tighter, and stays tighter longer than even our revered> Stage-I version!

First, the material for the Stage-II Extreme Duty(tm) "Platinum Edition" body is made from select 4130 Chromemoly Alloy Steel, increasing the strength capacity over 2-1/2 times of the stage-I rod end's tensile strength to over 28,000 PSI. Extra strength and material has also been afforded to the webbing (above), the most vulnerable location on any rod end.

> http://www.bulletproofsteering.com/questionandanswer.html

Q: What is the life expectancy of your Bullet Proof Rod Ends(tm) ? rod ends

A: It depends on the application, conditions, cleanliness and abuse you subject them to. In our testing we have found our Bullet Proof Spherical Rod Ends(tm) to out perform nearly every stock OEM style ball joints in every aspect, as well as lasting up to five times longer in longevity. In our comparison testing we discovered where OEM tie rod ends lasted an average of 2-3 years, our Bullet Proof Rod Ends(tm) lasted over 10 years on the same group of vehicles tested, and in the same conditions. We have also noted that even the best "heim" joints we've tried, those barely stayed tight enough to last 1 year on the same test mules, while some of the cheaper "heim" joints barely lasted 2-3 months. Surprisingly, operating our Bullet Proof Rod Ends(tm) in salt, water, mud, grit and dirt were less of an issue than it was not to clean and wash them off after usage and spraying a light anti-corrosion oil on them. Other "heim" joints as well as OEM rod ends failed at a dramatically increased rate in those same exact conditions when compared side by side in numerous brutal tests.

Q: Your Bullet Proof Rod Ends(tm) are not greaseable and need no seals, how can they last? rod ends

A: Our Bullet Proof Rod End(tm) have a carbon-fibre Teflon(r) liner in them which is a permanently lubricated material that provides ultra smooth movement and a vibration cushion. No additional grease is needed since the Super-Tight fit will not allow any debris into the d end, therefore nothing can get out. The Super-Tight fitting crowns on each end of the bearing acts as "scraper seals" which keeps sand, water and dirt from getting inside the rod end. Superior quality and ultra precision workmanship is required to achieve this result, which is why no other Rod End even comes close to our Bullet Proof Rod Ends(tm)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Definately pricy buggers ($90 a piece for each heim!). The static strength is no different than QA1 or FK, or probably just about any other teflon lined 4130 3/4" heim. If their advertising is correct about the wear resistance, that is the only thing justifying their cost.

Personally, I still have my doubts that it would be able to resist wear, especially as the ball comes in contact with salt and rusts (I live in salt-hell), the wear would be fairly quick.

But hey, that's why we're all able to have our own opinions...

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Kevlar lined.

Hand checked for fit, special tolerances, good stuff.

These guys know their stuff...

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
How about a bullit proof steering column and intermidate shaft?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a bullet proof suspension 12 inch lift on my truck and the steering uses a cross over design utilizing 7 heim joints. I just spray them with WD-40 when I grease the truck and give them a good shake to see if they feel loose. I trust the heims on our buggy when we are doing 95 across the desert so I trust them on my tow vehicle as well. I will try to snap some pics and let ya guys know if I have any problems with them, so far I think it is peace of mind compared to having the factory ball joints.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I think they are illigal for use in street driven vehicles in some states, MA being one of them. I woul still run them though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
BassinRVer

How hard are they to adjust for toe-in? I read their installation instructions and they ask for a fairly accurate measurement for length of the old tie-rod assembly. With that bent tube, you can't just loosen two lock nuts and twist the tube - well you can but only in full turn increments. Looks like pulling the heim joint apart and screwing the end in/out by half-turns is the way to adjust for length.

Was that your experience?

As far as cost goes, I just left my local Goodyear tire store (on Bryant Irvin) trying to get my truck realigned after putting on the H2's. They pointed out my severely worn inner tie-rod ends (at 70,000 miles running the factory 245's - a little rediculous) and quoted $460 to replace them and align the front end! Wouldn't align it as-is, and as I was leaving, the mechanic said he wouldn't guarantee good tire wear since I have 'big tires' on the truck. So what's the point of an alignment? I didn't have the heart to point out the H2 center caps and inform them that they are STOCK on certain vehicles!!! Needless to say, I'll be going somewhere else for an alignment - whether I have the Beefy Tie Rods or the stock factory crap.

Thanks for the effort to get these to market. SOMETHING needed to be done about the wimpy stock ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts