Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some reading on moving the PMD to the front bumper. I have noticed that some people are buying the extension cable and some are (if I am interperting it correctly) just adding length between the plugs. Purchasing a 6 foot cable seems like alot of money for what you get. on the other hand adding a 6 foot piece of cable between the plugs would it lose voltage.

What have others done and thier opinions on thier choice. If you have made your own cable pictures of your product would be nice as well as a description.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I just extended my wires....sorry - no pics....

I cut the wires one at a time and soldered wire in.....I used liquid electrical tape to seal up the joints....then I used wire loom to cover up the wires....works great....

·
Registered
29 Posts
How long did you make the cable? And where did you mount the PMD/FSD?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Read my sig...

·
Registered
969 Posts
cut wires and install fsd/pmd in front bumper hole passenger or driver side, or on the firewall of the truck. one installed it into the interior of his truck. i'm thinking mine passenger side fender with heat sink and computer fan. with a stat

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What guage of wire did you use for the extension chrisk1500. Is there anything that you would have done differently when building this extension.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've built two of them. One was about 5' long, and the other was about 7' long.

I can't remember the size of wire I used, but it was 2 or 3 sizes larger than that used in the stock harness. I.e. if the stock wire was 18ga, I spliced in 14ga. I think those are the right sizes, but don't quote me on it. It's not that critical of a detail anyway. The bigger wire you use, the less resistance created by the extra length.

The only other tip not mentioned here that I want to add is to use a good high-temp wire loom around the extended harness. The typical farm-store stuff tends to melt or disform under the intake.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,906 Posts
Plus, you have to make sure that you don't criss cross the wires.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I don't remember off the top of my head what gauge I used...I know that it was the next size up from what was on the PMD plug originally....

If I were to make another one (that would be the third one I built) I would use solder, liquid electrical tape AND heatshrink....other than that....no changes...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. I will build one this weekend to move my PMD to the front bumper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts