Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a new cooler. Going over final details with company. It will cool much better than stock, it will not be stack plate(throw away) cooler. it will bolt in original holes and bracket, and lines will drop right in. My stipulation is that it must be able to be installed by any of us in the driveway on a Sat. morning with minimum beer drinking within 30 minutes and must kick butt cooling fluid. My company says they can do this. We may need a test truck (midwest)

mike

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Let us know how it turns out!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Pray to MikeL the tranny cooler builder .... Hope he has success in his project ...

Please grant these wish to us Allison tweaked owners ...

Mike I want first tibs on the East Coast ... No freebies I'll pay for coolness and R&R ...I understand time is money and money is time ... I'm thankful some one is tackling this project ... If anyone has seen the TINY cooler we have the need is there ...

You know where to find me ...

84 Humid very light flogging two ticks under 200 IC temp today ... Sump was 20 degrees cooler although ...

M ac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Spent a good bit of time at Mike's shop today, and really enjoyed it. Great guy with some excellent ideas. Living in central Mississippi might provide a good test bed for the cooler. By August we'll make the midwest look like Alaska.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hmmm, I always thought the stacked plate were the best, at least from the normal crop of off the shelf coolers. What design will you use, or is that secret squirrel hush hush stuff?

As for a test truck, how about one that has to contend with towing in <st1:City><st1:place>Phoenix</st1:place></st1:City> 100*+ heat? This summer it will likely hit 110-115 or more…

·
Registered
994 Posts
Looking forward to your replacement cooler for the trans. The temps are just too high in stop-n-go driving. Increase the power on your truck and it is even worse. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I chose not to go with stack plate for a number of reasons. Stacked plate coolers have expanding tubes which means they are restrictive when cold; so the fluid must thin out and tubes expand before you begin to cool. Stacked plate coolers will preheat the trans to 180-200 deg rather quickly and then begin to do their job and stabalize at above temp. Stacked plate coolers do not flush very well which means if you burn some clutches in the trans a lot of that debris will stay in the cooler and make it even more restrictive. Fords policy on a rebuilt trans is stacked plate cooler must be replaced with new one upon trans rebuilds. I have flow tested coolers in my shop and have done a lot of research, called a lot of people that know about cooling (cooler manufacturers) and we all decided that tube and finn with turbulator cools best. (not the cheap press on finn type). There are a lot of factors we are discussing, one of them is area where the truck will be working. This cooler must be compatible in any climate. I have talked to Transgo and other knowlegable people and asked them " What would you like to see in a cooler?" They have all given me their opinions and I listened.
I will keep you guys up to date. Thanks for litening.

mike

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I'm in the midwest and would defiantly be in the market. I plow snow in the winter and need something better. In the summer if I am playing and driving in traffif it will hit 190 or so......once I hit that high I throw it in T/H to cool her down. I have a deep pan too BTW. Leme know if you need a test mule.

Stock trany, juced with an attitude.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Have you tried an electric cooling fan on the original cooler?

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Me? Nope.

I bet it would help with plowing since airflow does get blocked pretty good. I thought about it but am wanting to go with a solution that dosnt involve more electric drain. plow plus, radio, defroster, heater, stereo, lights, warning lights, aux back up lights......quite taxing

Actually plowing dosnt really do it as bad as playing in the heat that gets her up there.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would rather not go with fan cooler because it might fool the fan clutch into thinking engine temp is cooler than it is.

mike

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
Is this going to be aluminum or what outa curiosity?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can't wait here in the deep South additional cooling is always appreciated.
Thanks for your efforts on this project.

Harvey

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Mike, That's one of best ideas that I've read in a while.
.... While you're "fixing" the thing, could you through in a slide over or clip-on SS mesh screen? Those little bugs and rocks play hell on that Aluminum @ highway speeds. I had rather pull the screen off and brush it than have the cooler packed with summertime bugs.

just my .02 worth of sugestion

Burner-------------->

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Mike

Live in Okla, temps get in the 100's and pull a 4000 lb boat, will help in any way as long as I get a deal (don't expect it for free).

Geno

I can drink a lotta beer in 30 minEdited by: geno

·
Registered
817 Posts
cdhd2001 said:
Have you tried an electric cooling fan on the original cooler?

Yes I have. Didn't do diddly for stop n go heat build up. I put a Setrab Model 640 Oil cooler in place of the OEM and all 220+ temp days went away. Most I ever see now is 180. The Setrab is a stacked plate and holds at least 4 times the fluid of the OEM. It is around 13 x 11 x 2. I had some Jiffy Tite to AN-10 adapters made by Jiffy Tite (great folks) to use the factory quick connects. I had to make new mounting brakets and other stuff. I did also talk to Allison's engineering department and asked the head field engineer about what he thought. He admitted they had an issue and said my mod should work to reduce overall temps, but it wasn't really required with the 220 temps I was seeing. It was still too high for me. Mods that showed up with the 04 LLY Ally combo were what he told me would solve the problem for the future. They included a new solenoid, wiring harness, control software which resulted in higher fluid flow at idle. I couldn't retro the new tranny in my truck because the controls for the new solenoid weren't coming out till the LLY change.

Too bad MikeL. didn't do this sooner. It would have saved me 2 fans, plus temp controllers, plus all kinds of hoses and fittings, temperature monitors, all kinds of Transynd going down the drain, etc. That's all money that could have gone into something else.

At least 3 others people have done the same mod, all with similar success.

Chris

1 - 20 of 93 Posts