·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know what bug screen works good on a 2004 duramax

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Most everyone who's had anything but the new style GM shields have had problems with mirrors vibrating and wind noise.

The newest GM sheilds are not supposed to cause either problem and the one I've got on mine doesn't do either one. GM reduced the price on them as well in about Feb. or so. Check with your dealer's parts department, I got mine for $68.00 or so.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
The new Lund is suppose to be nice, have not seen it but heard good things about it. I have a Lund on my 2004 GMC works great. No problems here.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have a Drawtite Bug Shield on my 03 GMC and it works good. Someone told me it is same as the LUND but I don't know that it is.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
JampsDmax,

Do yourself a favor, Install the Invinca shield to your truck. Much nicer and cleaner. I added mine right after I got my truck and it has worked perfect. No funky looking smoked bugshield, no mirror vibration or whistle.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Duramax Dually said:
JampsDmax,

Do yourself a favor, Install the Invinca shield to your truck. Much nicer and cleaner. I added mine right after I got my truck and it has worked perfect. No funky looking smoked bugshield, no mirror vibration or whistle.

Jeff

Happen to have a picture of it???

·
Registered
663 Posts
jampsdmax,

For a bugscreen (not shield) I followed 56Nomad's lead and cut a piece of nylon window screen to fit behind the grill. After cutting the screen to the pattern of the grill opening, I sewed a nylon binder and some velcro (loops) around the edge of the screen. Then on the inside of the grille I placed mating strips of velcro (hooks) to hold the screen in place. Works great... If anyone is interested I'l snaps some pics next time I take it off for cleaning.

Regarding some of the wind noise from an adding a bugshield, one fix is to add some 3M double sided tape (or sealer) to hold down the moulding on the sides of the windshield.

·
Registered
73 Posts
JB

If you get a chance I would like to see those pictures. I would like to have something for a bug screen, but don't want it on the outside.

Thanks,

Norm

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you use the nylon screen, be careful to use one where the mesh is open enough to allow sufficient airflow. We have a mesh on a screen door at the house that will almost totally block the wind (even at 40+ mph.

You can remove the grill - one bolt and some clips or plain push in holders - and install the mesh on the inside where it cannot be seen.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i just got a lund too i like it and looks good i think its the called the lund adventure my g/fs dads got the new chevy SS and he had it and it made a noice when your going down the road but mine is workin out great i love it

·
Registered
663 Posts
Norm,

I took some pictures yesterday and will post them soon ... Hopefully later this evening.

And dittos to Horse Trainer's point on the size of the screen opening. I actually cut mine from a tie-on grill screen kit (not window screen as implied above) and the openings do look larger than conventional window screen. I also haven't had any engine temp problems.

Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have had a piece of metal screen in since day one. I installed it from top of radiator to bottom. To do this, I removed the grill, the top black panel from the radiator, and the hood latch. Cut a piece to fit over everything and reinstalled everything. Used metal screen that I spray painted black for longer life. You'd never know it's there.

It has cut down on all stone impingements into the radiators as well as keep the bugs from clogging things up. Maybe this has led to a bit higher temps, but at a 55-70 mph wind speed, I am sure there is enough cooling. I have never had an issue.

To clean I just hit it with the power washer on an angle and all goes away!

HTH.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
JampsDmax,

I think I misunderstood your question. It appears from the thread you are looking for a bug screen for the grill not a bug deflector to protect the paint.

On the bug screen for the grill, This I think depends on preference. I modified my winter front and cut the center and had a screen stitched into the center. It snaps on as the winter front would have. Very nice and easy to clean.

Jeff

·
Registered
663 Posts
nassdmax said:
...I have had a piece of metal screen in since day one....
HTH,
Great Idea...
Does your screen cover the Tranny Cooler and A/C Condenser too? Metal screen is durable.

Duramax Dually said:
..I modified my winter front and cut the center and had a screen stitched into the center. It snaps on as the winter front would have. Very nice and easy to clean.
Jeff,
Another Great Idea!!
any pics? Edited by: jbplock

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
JBPlock,

I will snap off a few photos and load them up tonight. I did this winter front modification 2 months after I got the truck. It has worked PERFECTLY. I regularily travel through Central California and when the butterfly and dragonflies take to wing it gets quite messy and can easily plug up a AC condensor and radiator. Do not forget about the farmers that always seem to put the beehives right next to the freeway..Like Ping Pong balls bouncing off the windshield.

Also do not forget the intercooler is out there also. My components look brand new. I have had a tendency to leave this on almost all the time now as it looks clean and helps with rocks as well.

Jeff

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went to my friendly GMC dealer Saturday on a squeak issue and bought a Lund rockguard/bugscreen. ($59.99) It looks okay on my 2004 duramax, however, this p.m. coming home from work I nailed a big old yellar bug on my windshield. I understand the bugscreen won't get them all, however, I will wait to make my conclusions on my next trip to Kansas. Lots of bugs up there!!!

Incidentally, not long ago I posted a problem with a "squeak" coming from the weather stripping on my drivers side door; all it needed was a tweak, nice and quiet now...what a relief!!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mine goes over everything!!! It also protects from stuff coming through the vent holes in the bumper, which is why I did it that way.

Nice job JB! Maybe when you have the grill out, you could add some screen to the holes in the bumper and have full protection.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Jeff1, I live in Nebraska and I can tell you first hand that the bug deflectors do not deflect that many bugs....just keeps rock chips away more than anything and looks nice...

Jason

·
Registered
663 Posts
nassdmax said:
Mine goes over everything!!! It also protects from stuff coming through the vent holes in the bumper, which is why I did it that way.

Nice job JB! Maybe when you have the grill out, you could add some screen to the holes in the bumper and have full protection.
I agree on the vent holes .. I still get a few bugs coming through, but nothing like I used to see on my 98 6.5 without a cover. I'm going to look for a way to cover the vent holes although air will still be coming up from underneath the bumper. Your method defiantly provides the best protection.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts