Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. I have had to replace my bug deflector. The one now installed extends over the fender tips and is higher than the old one. I noticed the first time on the highway that I was getting a cracking noise at the top of my windshield. It would move from side to side sometimes depending on the wind direction. So I took the deflector off and drove for a while and the noise is gone. Seems like a poor deflector design. Is there a deflector that does not cause this noise? Your comments please. Thanks Edited by: NFLD

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I think there is a TSB on this. I had a problem with that on my 99. I think I ended up selling the deflecter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2000 1500 Silverado. The modling around the glass on the windsheild has to be secured and the problem will be solved. The wind deflecter changes the air flow and causes the molding to vibrate and make the noise. It is an easy solution.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
OEM works good!!!!

Thats what I got and its solid as a rock!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine was an OEM and it didn't work as per post reply above. The problem has little to do with the deflecter but a lot to do with how the window gasket molding is installed.Edited by: pmmartin

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I agree with Gradyghost. I have the Gm one and it is great. I love the way it fits and no turbulance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your comments. you know that the 2002 2500Hd has a raised hood front. So the deflector is raised above it. The 1500,s and early 2500,s dont have that hood. It appears the my prob is with the deflector. Question?? Why shud I have the windshield tri,/molding secured. The factory setup shud be OK. So now what the fix??

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I have a question.....thats kinda related.....if you get the noise dose it increase your cance for a leak? I get the noise with the plow on....if its just anoying noise I can deal with it but if its becasue the thing is lose I will have it taken care of.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a lund interceptor on mine. Just noticed the cracking noise about a month ago. I'm thinking of trying the GM one. Anyone have any luck with one on a 03 chevy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I took the deflector off of mine. Didn't know whether it would cause problems later or not. Just knew I didn't want to deal with a leaking windshield. I ordered mine from a parts store and told them I wanted a deflector and not a protector. I think the only difference it the deflectors have a vertical bend at the top. The one they gave me didn't have that bend. Don't know if a bonified deflector (with a visible verticle rise) would make any difference or not. Edited by: joheath

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does anybody have some good pics of either the GM or the Lund on a '01/'02 Chevy HD? Thanks much!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't know if this string is still alive or not. I just got an 04 3500 & asked about the windshield noise problem & the theory the deflector was the cause. The GM rep said they'd had some complaints with the OEM shield as well. They now package two sided tape with the shields to fix the window molding problem. Just lift the molding away from the windshield, apply the tape & the problem is fixed....or so he said...sounded good to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NFLD said:
I have a 2002 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. I have had to replace my bug deflector. The one now installed extends over the fender tips and is higher than the old one. I noticed the first time on the highway that I was getting a cracking noise at the top of my windshield. It would move from side to side sometimes depending on the wind direction. So I took the deflector off and drove for a while and the noise is gone. Seems like a poor deflector design. Is there a deflector that does not cause this noise? Your comments please. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re Bugdeflector111. I have returned to the after market dealer re the noise problem and he sez havent heard of it. I now have a new one on order that fits the 2500HD and the 1500. It is lower on the hood and appeard to be similar to the first one. The pre drilled holes matchup. Insofar as having to tape the upper windshield moulding. I think not as I believe the design of the deflector is flawed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had "the noise" but the dealer finally owned up to it and fixed it by securing the window molding. There is a bulletin on this I told, or at least that is what I told the dealer the second time when they actually fixed it. The tapping noise would happen about 60-70 mph. It would be much less pronounced in wet weather.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts