Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buck was my buddies suburban and he loved him "Drives like a Cadillac" he'd say with a smile. I would just nod because to be honest Bowtie hasn't been in my wheelhouse of knowledge. let alone diesel ones.

some time ago something happened, lost to memory now and he had his brother futz with it to make it right and it didn't. and so instead of trying to chase down the problems not being a blackthumb he used Buck for storage.

and so his story may have ended.

so we're chatting cars and he mentions he's ready to get rid of Buck and willing to donate it to our other yard art...err truck project as the engine was strong and the one in the other truck is...well she's tired. and quite possibly blasphemous putting bowtie into blue oval.

we come and take a look and the suburban is in really good shape, yay for the deserts preservative properties. get what tires will hold air to hold em and a swap a tire to roll.

issue 1 - keys are lost to time so no unlocking the steering wheel to put into Neutral... nothing that some drill bits and tactical application of sledgehammer cannot fix. Buck put up a fight but ultimately no match for my husbands skills. needed to get a new ignition switch anyway so no big loss there
Issue 2 - two broken windows passenger middle and the windshield. hoping easy enough to find out there with this body having been made just shy of a forever according to my researching.

so some application of elbow grease and a tow strap we get it rolled out of it's nestled hole to where the towtruck can pull it out and bring it the next town over to my house. my neighbors probably think I have a problem now.
free trucks isn't all that bad of a problem IMO lol.

we let the rain give it a good washing as spring tries to decide what it wants to do. Finally got a warm weekend so time to evict the spiders and the leaves and take an assessment.

good: pulled the fuel filter off and while a little varnishy smelling, doesn't smell rotten or jellied. so putting that as a Plus for now

good: the interior seems to be okay. further inspection is needed to see if some seatcovers will be fine.

silly: the light adjusters have rotted away from the sun so it's a little derpy.

weird: it seems to maybe have been lowered in its life, not that i'm complaining not needing the stepstool to reach the air filter. but wonder if it will be alright on rough desert dirt roads. should it live again easily it's plan will be family camping/towing rig.

worry: that whatever driveshaft issue it had killed first gear. but the trans does have fluid in it, but won't know much more than a dipstick reading until we can drop the trans pan and check for...bits. looks like a 700 is under there but hard to tell between the flats and being low

question: the power steering reservoir seems to just be hanging in space by its hoses. I doubt that's where it's supposed to be. trying to locate a digital copy of a repair manual so I can learn but not had luck yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
first steps

put a little oil in it, a lot of water in it, some Seafoam and a pair of batteries

bastard cranked right over, squealed and whined about being woken from it's slumber and threw a belt in it's temper tantrum, but so far so good. i'll take it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tinkering day two

during the brief startup the Waterpump was not spinning and therefore the fan also not spinning and that does no do.

get the WP off after moving its pulley friends off to the side (and very happy it has the PS pump bracket on there, just not the reservoir bracket, weird but I can work with weird)Lower Radiator hose just tore into shreds from getting oil on it.
The Pump fought but lost to Sir Sledge of Hammertown. Full of Rust. Looks like a previous owner didn't believe in the good word of Coolant. so in it's future will be flushes. hopefully the Radiator isn't clogged up. WP backing plate looks alright just needs a good clean

New WP has been painted with some leftover engine paint I had from my last project just as an extra layer and because my husband and I are weird like that lol

was amused it has cruise control. hopefully once we figure and fix all the wrongs it'll be real fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
closer look at the backing plate and it's pitted after a good cleaning.
so now searing the net for one. Blarg. here I thought oh it's GM parts should be plentiful LOL on me on that one

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so when Life gives you Unicorns, be glad you're married to a fabricator. lol. buttoning up the WP today. was able to get the full Felpro gasket kit via Autozone here on the west coast for those of you who may be trying to source one.

·
Premium Member
17,906 Posts
I used to have that same 'burb, only in a Sierra Classic.

Reactions: MojaveMuse

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
doesn't seem like it posted the images.

I have them in my forum album

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ooh it got all shiny 'round here.

todays updates.

new Thermy housing as the old one was corroded and falling into aluminum dust. filled up the radiator and let it run a while. sounds like a lifter tick on passenger side. hoping just dust-oil mix from sitting for so long that needs to just wear lose. starts smoothly and moved a little under it's own power on the flat tires.
brake lights, while busted do work as do all the signals and One headlight woo! temp gage is either busted or the sending unit needs replacing. just hoping the block is a good cast and not one that'll glass on us, only time will tell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
onto brakes. front rotors were gouged too much and looked to already been turned their fair share, so fresh metal there and pads, the shock mount hole into the upper frame had at one point been lose or something and jiggled the hole larger, so grade 8 washer was welded into place to repair that along with fresh shocks.

Drums are being done with new studs and some rims from Jegs and AT Tires brought the ride height up to much more reasonable than where I thought it was going to be.
looking forward to getting it off the jack stands so I can clean the inside.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Manged to get what I needed to so go ahead and part out locally friendo.

currently doing a re-foaming of the dash. just did the Bondo Layer and now paint with bed liner. the Rustoleum Tan bed liner is really, really darn close to the tan stripes so I'm thrilled about that.
also installing new instrument cluster and Tach translator from Dakota Digital.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts