Diesel Place banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 92 Chevy K3500 4x4 with the 6.5 diesel. The guy I bought it off of snapped the starter bracket bolt off in the block I was wondering how everyone else has removed this bolt when broke off. Any knowledge is appreciated Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
19,274 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace

You could try a left-handed drill bit to help back it out

Reactions: bk95td

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What
Welcome to DieselPlace

You could try a left-handed drill bit to help back it out
What is the best way to get to it it doesn't look like I would be able to get a drill in to it

·
Administrator
19,274 Posts
What

What is the best way to get to it it doesn't look like I would be able to get a drill in to it
Jack up the vehicle, remove the wheel and wheel well liner for the best access

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Start soaking it with blaster.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Ronald Reagan fan
4,537 Posts
Try putting a flat washer on it and weld it all around and place a 3/8” nut on top of the welded washer and weld that in place.It should be removable after that.

·
Premium Member
1995 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 6.5 TD
445 Posts
Did the bolt break off flush with the block?
As Glagulator mentioned start soaking it with PB Blaster.
As OkDually mentioned try a left handed drill. once you have a hole you can try welding a bolt into the hole. Do you have a air Chisel Hammer and use a air chisel flat hammer to vibrate the welded bolt as your trying to turn the welded bolt with a wrench. I have seen this work before.

I wouldn't drive or start the engine until you fix the broken bolt. possible block damage

·
Registered
64 Posts
Shoot when I just replaced my starter I had a hell of a time with that bolt. If your hands are remotely close to the size of mine... I’d recommend pulling the engine and doing the welded washer/ nut technique.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I'm looking at doing that since I will have to do it sooner or later anyway
Use ant-seize compound on the new bolt.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,193 Posts
After that, make sure you put the bracket nuts on the starter stud and fasten it to the bracket.

Reactions: Dadddyoh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't had a chance to work on it since I first posted about the broken bolt I was messing with it today and it kind of smells like there's gas in the fuel tank not really sure though I talked to my brother he works on diesel motors he said blow air through the lines to clean them out and put fresh diesel in it would you guys suggest doing and where would be a good spot to tap into the fuel line

·
Administrator
19,274 Posts
I haven't had a chance to work on it since I first posted about the broken bolt I was messing with it today and it kind of smells like there's gas in the fuel tank not really sure though I talked to my brother he works on diesel motors he said blow air through the lines to clean them out and put fresh diesel in it would you guys suggest doing and where would be a good spot to tap into the fuel line
If you suspect gasoline contamination then yes, drain the tank.
The easiest way to do this would be to disconnect the fuel line at the lift pump. Rig up a line from the lift pump to a jerry can and apply a jumper to the lift pump relay to manually pump fuel from the tank.
When done reconnect the fuel line back to the lift pump and fill the tank with fresh diesel

Reactions: Dadddyoh

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can drill it out and extract it. Search for bolt extractors on the internet. Drill a hole big enough to fit and stick it in there. Turn it left handed and it should grab and thread the bolt out.

·
Registered
140k 2000,gmc,k2500 380k 94 chev 1500 n/a
58 Posts
if you dont pull the motor pull the starter jack it up on the pas side pull the wheel, x2 on the left handed drill, if you go straight to welding and its in the block use a small chunk of copper pipe to keep from welding to the block

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
It's quite possible if you use a lot of PB Blaster or another product to loosen rusty bolts that using a left handed drill bit could help loosen up the broken stud in the block.
Starter bolts are 10mm x 1.5mm, 4.5" long
Bracket bolt into the block is 8mm x 1.25mm, 20mm
Nut holding the bracket to the starter is usually 1/4"-20

Drill the hole in the broken stud large enough so that the extractor doesn't snap off inside.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts