Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interested in reading of any members or friends of members experience with CV joints breaking while off-roading or while driving on street. :eek: Also early "signs and symptoms" of such a failure. Please include if Truck lifted, lift brand, and/or torsion bar cranked and how much? Have read alot about extreme CV joint angles leading to early failure, but no "this actually happened to me or my buddy" stories??Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good to see no one has had any negative "in the field experiences" regarding broken CV's. Did a search on such subject and there were no replies to that thread either. Thanks anyways

·
Registered
362 Posts
Didn't see this but i just asked the same question on the "green keys..Oxford" thread. People keep saying things will wear out or CV are at too bad of angle yet i have yet to read anyone in 3+ years that actually had any problems under normal driving conditions. the only problems I have ever seen were from those that offroad thier truck regularly and extreme offroading at that. I would like to hear some actual, real life problems on the street also.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't see this but i just asked the same question on the "green keys..Oxford" thread. People keep saying things will wear out or CV are at too bad of angle yet i have yet to read anyone in 3+ years that actually had any problems under normal driving conditions. the only problems I have ever seen were from those that offroad thier truck regularly and extreme offroading at that. I would like to hear some actual, real life problems on the street also.
My point:exactly:.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Interested in reading of any members or friends of members experience with CV joints breaking while off-roading or while driving on street. :eek: Also early "signs and symptoms" of such a failure. Please include if Truck lifted, lift brand, and/or torsion bar cranked and how much? Have read alot about extreme CV joint angles leading to early failure, but no "this actually happened to me or my buddy" stories??Thanks
no personal experience and not sure if this is legit but the first poster writes:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62404

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Leadfoot, posted thread

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
i wish i had a pic for all the cv that have broke out when i was wheeling or the ones that just the boot got riped then the cv goes out cv shafts suck

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
glad to see that it isnt all too common................b

·
Registered
287 Posts
check out the video section of the pull in jacksonville IL morgan county etc the 2nd puller is the one to watch for why tie rod sleeves are necessary.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have seen a couple break mudding, but they were on 1500 OBS trucks. I haven't seen one on a HD break in person yet, and the only storys I have read on here about it involved 4wd on the highway, with a high rpm launch.

·
Registered
353 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My buddy just broke his driver side CV on his 05 LLY. He has only an intake and exhaust (no programmer or module). His setup includes stock steering and a fabtech 8" lift with 37" Toyo Open Country MTs. The truck has 12500 miles on it and was aired down in the sand pulling a ford out....His bars were pretty cranked while this happened.

Ironically, I have the same tires and lift and i broke my d/s steering tie rod around an hour before he broke his cv.

The things that happen at the dunes!

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I have broken several,BEFORE I upgraded the steering.It seems that if you have the front wheels spinning and you turn the steering wheel back and forth(like trying to get unstuck)with the factory tie rod's,they break VERY easy on a lifted truck.I haven't had it happen since I put the big steering stuff on.As soon as the steering snaps,the CV breaks when the tire cranks all the way to one side from the torque.I guess it binds up and kerplodes.Makes a cool noise too....Censored

·
Registered
108 Posts
66 flh that is exactly what happened to me, spinning on ice mt tires slick as can be, trying to steer myself out then pop,ds tierod end,ps cv joint,$800 later

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
66 flh that is exactly what happened to me, spinning on ice mt tires slick as can be, trying to steer myself out then pop,ds tierod end,ps cv joint,$800 later
It sure sucks when you find out the hard way that your HD isn't that HD....Censored

·
Registered
108 Posts
man a sfa would be nice in those situations!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Anyone with cranked t-bars actually break any parts while under normal driving conditions? No hardcore offroading, 4wd launches or pulling just normal driving? Just curious because everybody warns people of bad angles and you will wear out parts and such but still looking for any actual problems. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The more angle in CV joints lowers the torque capacity of the joint, this is why pullers crank their T bars down

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I broke mine last night, my tbars are cranked almost all the way and i had my 18's and procomps on, for some stupid reason i decided i needed to do a 4x4 launch and snapCensored , broke driver side cv joint and bent my center link, thats why i found the thread, trying to figure out how to get the cv joints off.

-Rob-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts