Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 4 months ago i noticed my steering was lose and when i looked my cognito brace was broke,call cognito and they sent me the newer model by the end of the week,put it on and now 4 months later its broken again,called them and they sent me my last free one,its on now hope it last,both broke right across the hole were it bolts to the tapered shaft,no offroading ,no hole shots or launchs,i do have a 6 inch lift with the green keys turned up 1-2 inch's,only thing i can think of is to much strain on the pitman when turning hard left or right,any ideas?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one else has ever broken one of these ?

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
I remember this one...... You posted a while back when you had the problem.
First off I will say I'm not Cognito but I sell and install a crap load of those braces. I'm not saying they can't brake but I have not seen it. If at all posible could you give me some pic's of the braces installed and of your trucks front end. Maybe I can help find where the problem is coming from. Remeber metel can brake, sometimes there is something that is cousing the issue that was over looked :confuzeld. I know you did not buy the part from me but let me know if you would like me to help.

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I'd like to see a pic of this as well.

·
Registered
719 Posts
is it just me or are those pics tiny when you click on them?

·
Registered
861 Posts
those pics are so small. got any bigger ones?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry, I have nothing constuctive to add but just wanted to say thanks for the pics. I'm installing new arms and my braces tonight and i'll watch them.. the pics are also good quality for instalation purposes...

Good luck,

ps. nice avitar..... very.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I'm amazed at how much surface rust there is. Amazing what that salt air can do. You keep an immaculate truck but it looks like it's been driven in the salt for a couple winters.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Man, that really sucks. Thanks for posting the pics. I thought that these braces would make my front end a lot stronger; your experience tells me that I need to re-think that.

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
I see that nut has some threads left. May be you can screw the nuts down a little more. That might relieve some stress and make the shank set at a 90 deg. Here is one that we installed to show you what I'm talking about. Also did you say that the new set broke as well? What do those pic's look like?

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I have seen pics of them broke & cracked in the same place before other then Fireit's posts.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Well...sounds like most folk have good luck with them. I am having them put on my wifes Yukon tomorow to help tighten it up. I'll report back tommorow evening on if theres a difference...from the design, I imagine there will be a noticable difference. I here a lot of testimonials over them. I got them on my HD but really cant tell cause it was tight to begin with. I am hoping they extend the life of my idler/pitman arms.

I do see an area of potential improvement after looking at photo. Theres a high stress area at breakage due to the "gusset" feature ending right there. Also, that area is the smallest cross section due to bolt hole. A large heavy washer could be used to strengthen the area.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1sic250-yes,that's the second set that broke,hey Max how was the vacation can you speak spanish now?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I could be wrong as it's been a while since I've done mine, but I thought you were supposed to bottom the first nut out against the heim end, put it through the brace and then tighten the second nut. From your pic, it doesn't look that way, or maybe it's different on modified trucks. When I first did the install (didn't read the instructions....;) ), I put the braces on the Pitman and Idler arms and then put the heims on and adjusted the nuts against the brace (very similar to your picture), it wasn't until I read the instructions that I noticed the first nut was supposed to be bottomed out against the heim (which was counter intuitive). I then redid them per the instructions and have not had a problem (knocking on wood).

I can't find my instructions to verify, anyone have a copy??

1sic250;1608499; said:
I see that nut has some threads left. May be you can screw the nuts down a little more. That might relieve some stress and make the shank set at a 90 deg. Here is one that we installed to show you what I'm talking about. Also did you say that the new set broke as well? What do those pic's look like?

(Image has been resized. Click it for full size.)

Nor-Cal Nick

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
In reading the instructions it fails to inspire confidence that they know what they mean much less the reader. In my case, if the first nut was all the way down, the assy would be too short to connect at both points ~ as thet is the way I initially attempted. Wound up having the nut 2 or 3 threads from the heim joint. My truck has only 27Kmiles and relatively tight? Could your prob w/breakage be because of the stress/load demands of excessively worn parts?

Only stock tires, no lift and no racing. Still, install feels good ~

Shummy ~

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Could they somehow be binding?

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
"The stud coming out of the pitman/idler arm should be perpendicular to the arm. Normally that means the jam nuts are threaded all the way up on the heims."

This is how it was said to me......

Maybe other parts are worn parts/ Idler & Pitman or Idler pivot ???

Nor-Cal Nick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts