Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brittle 25 year old white turbo vacuum line broke when I was installing the intake manifold, it snapped like a dry twig. I can heat shrink it back together but am not sure about:

"How much vacuum pressure is on the these little lines?"

----------------AND-------------

When replacing the holy radiator yesterday, the rusted lower transmission cooler line broke. I took a piece of black rubber fuel line and some clamps, and a piece of large diameter brake line tubing with a fitting from my junk bin---patched it back together and installed. But I don't know:

" How much pressure is on the cooler lines, and the cooler?"

****Note***--- I am willing to replace the line set, however, this recently revived monster (13 years dead), has not been driven yet! The brake lines are still in the grass at the previous owners house where they rusted off. So I don't want to invest in trans lines if the trans is junk. If it's junk, I will be upping the game and installing a NV4500, the way that god intended. So for now, I need lines to hold for a few hundred test miles of tranny validation, so I'm wondering about pressure so I'll know if I can even test it. I've never had an automatic before.

·
Administrator
17,213 Posts
The brittle 25 year old white turbo vacuum line broke when I was installing the intake manifold, it snapped like a dry twig. I can heat shrink it back together but am not sure about:

"How much vacuum pressure is on the these little lines?"

----------------AND-------------

When replacing the holy radiator yesterday, the rusted lower transmission cooler line broke. I took a piece of black rubber fuel line and some clamps, and a piece of large diameter brake line tubing with a fitting from my junk bin---patched it back together and installed. But I don't know:

" How much pressure is on the cooler lines, and the cooler?"

****Note***--- I am willing to replace the line set, however, this recently revived monster (13 years dead), has not been driven yet! The brake lines are still in the grass at the previous owners house where they rusted off. So I don't want to invest in trans lines if the trans is junk. If it's junk, I will be upping the game and installing a NV4500, the way that god intended. So for now, I need lines to hold for a few hundred test miles of tranny validation, so I'm wondering about pressure so I'll know if I can even test it. I've never had an automatic before.
It is best to just replace the vacuum line instead of trying to repair it..
Go to your local auto parts store and get some rubber vacuum line and replace all of the lines.
There should be 22hg. of vacuum running through that line.

The trans. cooler lines should be in the range of 5-20psi..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought I had to replace with the hard plastic vacuum line because of the "HG of vacuum. I guess the rubber kind from napa will stand up and not collapse to the vacuum. Sounds like an easy, cheap fix, so long as the lines push into the holder/adapter at the end.

The trans line rigging should hold up fine to 20PSI.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,933 Posts
You can double clamp the trans line for testing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I did was heat shrink it. Call it a farm use experiment. Works so far. If ever put it on road street legal I'll service the truck thoroughly and that's on the list.

Reactions: OkDually
1 - 5 of 5 Posts