Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading for days on this "turbo bark" thing. To recap, it is the "coughing" that occurs at lighter throttle between shifts. The dealer has a January 2006 reflash for the LLY that claims to correct it by disabling the EGR at shift points.

I have also heard that most who have had the reflash done are claiming that it eliminated the "barking" but compromised performance. I am ready to do something but want to make sure it is the right thing.

Need the big guns to advise.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
the Banks bundle in your signature...that includes a full exhaust right? do you still have the kitty? If so, drop it and add an EGR blocker plate and finger stick.. you'll get no bark, lower EGT's, and a few ponies to boot. Of course you are in California so you may not want to do that so the flash may be your only way to go.

$.02

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
the Banks bundle in your signature...that includes a full exhaust right? do you still have the kitty? If so, drop it and add an EGR blocker plate and finger stick.. you'll get no bark, lower EGT's, and a few ponies to boot. Of course you are in California so you may not want to do that so the flash may be your only way to go.

$.02
:exactly:

Plate and Fingerstick that bad boy, no chance of bark then and no performance loss either. A true win win combo. That or plate and pred EGR routine defeat.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Tx, he asked for big guns!):h I am not one either, but so far the advise here is dead on. If you get a chance after those mods, try a boost stick. Just watch the tranny!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Soooo...Is the Finger:flipa:Stick gonna work in the LBZ?
the only barking I want is from my Mal...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yep watch that tranny if you get the mods going. I had the banks bundle and smoked my stock tranny pretty quick even on setting 3.
And as said above, mine barked with a simular set up to yours.. EGR blocked, finger stick... bark no more.
My truck is in for service and they are updating the ECM (injector's this time, not barking).. hope it dosen't loose any performance.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yep watch that tranny if you get the mods going. I had the banks bundle and smoked my stock tranny pretty quick even on setting 3.
And as said above, mine barked with a simular set up to yours.. EGR blocked, finger stick... bark no more.
My truck is in for service and they are updating the ECM (injector's this time, not barking).. hope it dosen't loose any performance.
Keep us Calif guys informed on the results of the dealer update!!

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Do the update. It has been discussed over and over and ver and over here. The result is no bark, and IMPROVED response if anything...

The only gun I could find on short notice: :wtf1:

bang

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Yes, exhaust kitty back. I have not heard of anyone getting caught without a kitty on thier diesel truck here in Cali. Yet.

I will order the stick, block off, and catless downpipe.:grd: Will post up in a month or so the result.

Considering a Suncoast tranny exchange. Truck has 17K on it and Banks has been there since 5500.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Make sure you keep that kitty in your garage. California is going pretty wacko over the whole diesel exhaust thing. They are even requiring off road equipment to start meeting standards. I don't think that diesel smog checks are far off at all.

Take it from somebody who got caught getting a car er... excused from not passing a smog check, it's no fun and it ain't cheap.

By the way does anyone know of a mod friendly dealer or a mechanic in the Southern California area that does the reflash. I'm not looking forward to taking it i with the mods, The Power PDA doesn't look like it will come out all the way very easily. Even the docking station says Banks on it, not to mention the new CAC.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
I have a Tech II. You don't say where you are, but I might be able to hook you up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I live in the beautful ESG (eastern san gabriel valley). I actually work not far from the 60 freeway at Azusa Avenue, in the City of Industry if you know where that is. Believe it or not a lot of people don't.

By the way it's gotta be he** to come back from Hawaii to 50 degrees So Cal. To those of you from the great white north 50 degrees is probably a balmy day, in So Cal it might as well be Alaska. I actually don't mind the colder weather, my wife on the other hand, well... thank God for seat heaters.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone know if Puente Hills GMC is mod friendly. I guess there's only one way to find out. On the positive side, if I do get my warantee voided, then there's nothing stopping me from going all the way.

On Edit: On second thought maybe you should PM me. Wouldn't be too cool to post something like that out in the open, GM might get mad. Their fault though, if they just would have built the truck with 400HP then I wouldn't have to mod it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Santa Paula Chevrolet. I have been in three times and all I get is "nice truck" "you take good care of it" "it is really fast". A little haul for you. But 15 minutes further and you will find a fridge full of beer and a big screeen and an ocean view to kill the time!

This dealer will install the mods from new if you like. Lifts, tires, banks, edge, etc. Thanks for the words of wisdom on not removing the cat,

·
Registered
183 Posts
anyone know of a dealer in the central or northern part of ca. like inverterman has seen???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts