Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was -32C, wind chill -45C this morning, truck started great, lots of smoke, aha smell of diesel :ro) , but man was it ever LOUD!! Wake up the dead. ( That would be my retired neighbors..):h )

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
wow!!!! Man that is chilly...any idea what that is roughly in farenheit?

Was it plugged in? Are 6.5's generally good in the cold?

How many hours later did it take for heat to come out of the vents? :D
I know with no winter front cover on my Dmax, if its colder than -10, it cools down to about 168* even when im just stopped at a traffic light...

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Daughter started her 2000 6.5 at -14F today in Casper, Wy and it required a long glow but it started. I chewed on her a little for not plugging it in however and threatened to start charging her for repairs. BTW, the 6.5 started better than her boyfriends 02 power stroke:ro)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think thats roughly -25*F, pretty darn cold. And to think I thought i had it bad here at 3* and nowhere to plug my truck in.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
at -40, f and c are the same

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
It was -32C, wind chill -45C this morning, truck started great, lots of smoke, aha smell of diesel :ro) , but man was it ever LOUD!! Wake up the dead. ( That would be my retired neighbors..):h )
LOL....it was roughly the same temp here for the past two days. The truck started fine (plugged in of course). Man can it ever knock on the cold mornings though...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have started my old 6.2, same basic engine design, down around -15 one morning with no plug in. I hated doing that but I couldn't get the suburban in the parking garage at the hotel, the burban was a bit taller then stock at just over 7ft to it's top. Not go to do it offen but nice to know it would if needed.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
-24F in chicago, took the ole' diesel a crank or two and then woke the dead:D . So cold the brakes pedal was REALLY hard to push and make for a really junk ride.

·
Registered
35 Posts
-13 F here this morning....good ol' 94 started right away (plugged in) with only one standard glow session.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Last night on my way home from the bar, it was -16F and when I was going down the highway and I stepped on the pedal, the truck sloooowed down.:eek: Must be too cold.

·
Registered
682 Posts
well -10 here in des moines. been plowing roads for to days. dmaxx was not plugged in an hit the remote after setting for two days and it fired right off.. fuel tank was on E and no jellin,.. temps swing from +60 to -10.. have not put the winter cover on the new grill.. slow heater warm up..

arm

·
Registered
163 Posts
at -40, f and c are the same
Actually, it's at -41 that the C and F lines intercept...

Whatever, that's darn cold! We're shivering when the temp gets below 40 def F out here in sunny socal!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
wow!!!! Man that is chilly...any idea what that is roughly in farenheit?

Was it plugged in? Are 6.5's generally good in the cold?

How many hours later did it take for heat to come out of the vents? :D
I know with no winter front cover on my Dmax, if its colder than -10, it cools down to about 168* even when im just stopped at a traffic light...
Fahrenheit would be -25.6F, wind chill -49F, Yes, the truck was plugged in..lol Started on the first crank, I should be in the first crank club, enjoying it, while it last.):h Trucks been starting very nice, ever since the starter was changed.
I let my truck run for about 10 min, before driving, that's about the time when I feel any heat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, it was -4*F here last night actual temp, and i just went out and started my '95 up without it being plugged in. It also only currently has 7 connected glow plugs, i had one wire melt on the passenger side just recently and havent had time to pull the downpipe and inner fender to replace the wire. Truck started up GREAT, although it took over a full minute for that last cylinder to finally start to fire at 3*, and nearly 2 minutes for the smoke to finally clear up completely. I was impressed.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Actually, it's at -41 that the C and F lines intercept...

Whatever, that's darn cold! We're shivering when the temp gets below 40 def F out here in sunny socal!
Actually -40ºC = -40ºF

-17.8ºC = 0ºF
0ºC = + 32ºF (freezing point of water @ sea level)
20ºC = + 68ºF
100ºC= + 212ºF (boiling point of water @ sea level)

The formula is:

ºF = (ºC x 9/5) + 32

ºF = (-40ºC x 9/5) + 32 = -72 + 32 = -40ºF

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Actually -40ºC = -40ºF

-17.8ºC = 0ºF
20ºC = + 68ºF

The formula is:

ºF = (ºC x 9/5) + 32

Continuing the math lesson differential from boiling to freezing:
C: 100 - 0 = 100
F: 212 - 32 = 180

F/C = 180/100 = 9/5 = 1.8
the 32 gets subtracted to give both a 0 degree freezing reference.

Now that everyone is -:tof math, I'll resume :lurk
;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love that morning smoke when its cold enough to freeze the balls off a pool table. :chillpill

·
Registered
73 Posts
On my 94, is there a spot to plug in? Is it standard or optional?

·
Registered
101 Posts
On my 94, is there a spot to plug in? Is it standard or optional?
My 92 and 98 had a plug in. I think it was standard. I don't know if my 04 has a plug in.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Actually -40ºC = -40ºF

-17.8ºC = 0ºF
20ºC = + 68ºF

The formula is:

ºF = (ºC x 9/5) + 32

Thanks for defending me Ray. I was crying over that one degree.:joke: :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts