Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live out here in the boonies, and wondering what everyone has experienced with replacement bulbs from a brightness perspective. Have JK's harness, and love it. Am using the Phillips Premium product JK sells, and love em, but wondering about Piaa. Are the brighter? Have personally had bad lock with Sylvania Silverstars.

·
Registered
570 Posts
silatman,

What problems have you had with the Silverstars?

If you want real bright, install an HID kit. You'll burn the corneas out of anything that gets in your path.

http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/prodinfo.htmEdited by: Voodoo

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voodoo,
Silverstars burned out within 4 weeks. Not an issue
with mishandling, not sure of the cause.

Silatman

·
Registered
570 Posts
thats strange!

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I have modified 65 watt Silverstars in my lows now since one of my 70 watt Rally Phillips left me one eyed .... Real bright but not as bright as the 100 Watt Highs but they are whiter .... I have the 4 lights on high heavy duty light harness ....

I do wish there was a source for the Ralley bulbs tho I have some concern of rolling up behind a officer exspecialy after leaving a watering hole ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Installed High and Low Beam Silver Stars 11/15/02

Replaced Driver side Low Beam 04/03/03
Replaced Passenger side Low Beam 06/30/03
Replaced Driver side Low Beam 10/15/03
Replaced Passenger side Low Beam 12/28/03

Not too impressed with the life. The PIAA’s at $40 each might be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
have to agree with mackin on the phillips rallye 70w lows and 100w highs. i have been trying to find more without luck. best bulbs i have seen

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've put High/Low Silverstars on four of my trucks sofar.

Couldn't be happier. They also illuminate the road shoulders better, it seems.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The officer ought to at least give you bonus points for at least remembering to turn them on.

Mackin said:
I have modified 65 watt Silverstars in my lows now since one of my 70 watt Rally Phillips left me one eyed .... Real bright but not as bright as the 100 Watt Highs but they are whiter .... I have the 4 lights on high heavy duty light harness ....

I do wish there was a source for the Ralley bulbs tho I have some concern of rolling up behind a officer exspecialy after leaving a watering hole ....

Mac

·
Registered
74 Posts
Silman

I have been doing a lot of research into better lighting for my 04 2500HD because it gets real dark for a real long period of time in the winter here in Alaska. Here is what I have found:

Perhaps the best source of information on automotive lighting is from Daniel J. Sterns who is acknowledged by many to be a true authority on automotive lighting. His web site is

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I have E-Mailed and spoken to Daniel several times and he is great to deal with. I have followed his recommendations and am very happy with the results. More on this later.

Sylvania Silverstars do not put out more light than a regular Halogen bulb - in fact all of the "Blue Bulbs" put out less light because of the filtering effect of the colored mask. All they really do is change the color. PIAAs don't seem to be any better.

One must be careful to match the bulb to the housing. Just because a bulb will fit or is modified to fit a given housing it may not produce good results because of the relationship of the filiment to the housing - resulting in a "focus problem". Using a higher wattage bulb may or may not damage your stock housings.

Phillips Rally bulbs are reported to be very good bulbs but not "Illegal" i.e. not US DOT approved - if you care about this sort of thing. Like Mackin and others have found Phillips Rally bulbs are almost impossible to find.

Here is the solution offered to me my Mr. Sterns for my truck. Use a Phillips/Narva 9006BL for the low beam. This bulb produces about 30% more light than a regular bulb and is a clear Halogen.

For the high beam use a 9011. Again this is a clear halogen bulb. I will bet you can't find any listing in any catalog for this bulb. Is is a very new bulb and is only used in a few cars like the Viper. It uses a new "IR" technology to get more light from a given wattage. The filiment is positioned so that it works prefectly in the Chevy housing. One of the tabs must be filed down to get it to fit a stock housing but this is very easy to do. The bulbs give at least 50% more light that a stock premium bulb. The down side is they ain't cheap $39.00 a pop.

Here is where to get them, E-Mail Daniel Sterns at 'Candlepower Canada/Tech' and/or check out the CandelPower web site at http://www.candlepowerinc.com/?url=7

I had already installed a Kennedy wiring harness before I added the new bulbs. Here is my setup which I am very happy with.

Kennedy harness set with both high and low bulbs on on high (4 bulb high).

Phillips 9006BL low Beams ($13.00 ea)

Phillips 9011 High Beams ($38.95 ea)

I am no lighting expert or lighting engineer but I do good research. I also have a lot of respect of Mr. Sterns. Several engineer friends of mine classify him as the leading automotive lighting expert in North America. I am running the combination he recommended and could not be happier. I am sure there are other solutions out there - I just have not found them.

Sorry for the long post - hope it helps.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Shark Bait,

Great post. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Shark Bait

Yes thanks for the excellant informative post .... But before I bite can any Canucks get the Rally bulbs at a reasonable price ??

They would be 70 watt lows and 100 highs ...

Max ,Juice ,HeartBeat and others ??

Mac

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mackin

I agree we should continue to try to find a reliable source for the Phillips Rally bulbs. At this point however I have not been able to find any anywhere. There may be some on someones parts shelf somewhere but I don't know where.

If one of us had a friend or contact in Germany I will bet we could get some that way. Find a German or maybe a Canadian supplier and them place a group order to make it worthwhile.

Where was JK getting his supply of Rally bulbs? Maybe he could lean on his suppliers to get some in.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Mackin said:
Shark Bait

Yes thanks for the excellant informative post .... But before I bite can any Canucks get the Rally bulbs at a reasonable price ??

They would be 70 watt lows and 100 highs ...

Max ,Juice ,HeartBeat and others ??

Mac
I'd sure be happy to look. Where do I start? Are they available in Canada and not in the US?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Max

I'm not sure ... They are not DOT legal here in the states so it seems ... I've seen many non compliant products on the market they must be really tough on the bulb manufactures I guess as they buckle to their knees ...

Start Here ..... I'm thinking smuggling in a few sets ...They show the 70 watt lows only .... GP ??

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
If I can get my hands on them I would be more then happy to get them to you.

I will check with some of my suppliers.Edited by: Max Power

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Mac, what do you mean modified silver star? You have a high beam bulb in the low beams?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts