Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking my truck up in the next 2 weeks and driving it home... across country. I would like to make sure it is broken in properly and I searched and didn't find much. What is the best way to do this.

Cant wait by the way

Thanks from a Dodge convert
Steve

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Just drive and enjoy it.Vary your speed,dont get it hot and check the fluids.Enjoy and congrats.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Do an internet search for "engine break-in" and you will pull up a lot of good articles. The most important thing is seating your rings. This is done in the first 50 to 100 miles. The cylinder walls are scored so they will wear the rings to the shape of the cylinder walls. This scoring wears away in under 100 miles or so and if you haven't seated your rings before the scoring wears away you are sol.

Basically you just need to accelerate hard through the gears....do some stop light to stop light driving. This does not mean high RPMs...just put a heavy load on the motor. That will force the rings against the cylinder walls and allow the scoring to "file" your rings to the cylinder and create a good seal.

I picked up a new LBZ last Saturday and drove it 425 miles home. I ran it around town going through the gears pretty hard for about 40 miles and then I jumped on the freeway. Drove like normal except I varied my speed between 60 and 80, didn't keep it at the same speed for more than 20 minutes or so. Stopped a few times and let it cool a little.

Do the search and read the articles, I think you will find what you are looking for.

You are gonna love that truck!!:ro)

Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, google searched and found alot, now I understand how and why the motors are broken in. I'll drive around town for a while before I leave for the ride home.
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts