Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new truck yesterday. The manual recommends using 1st gear during the 500 mile break-in to launch the truck. Is this really a necessity, especially in an unloaded truck? I tried it a few times last night and it tachs out quick with that low gear ratio. It doesn't make for fun driving when you can't get across an intersection before you need to shift. Very sweet machine otherwise.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
congrats on the new handshaker, AS for the break in i pulled out in second from new first is just to low, and as far as i know it didnt cause any problems, my clutch never slipped even with the ppe untill the flywheel broke that is!!!
Later
Caleb

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Caleb. I thought it was a load of BS but wanted to see what the expert consensus was. Coming out of a gasser, my only observation is that you are really busy shifting in this thing. I can't wind her up over 4000 to merge on the interstate in this rig. On the flip side, I don't have to downshift going up hills anymore.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ditto. Congrats on the new sixer. Mine's due in the around the first week of April; an '06 LLY/6sp LT1 CC 4x4. Please post all that you find out about breakin and your experiences! I'll be watching and very interested. I've read various things about breakin also, so I don't know which way to go -- baby it or Drive It!

You thinking about using BioDiesel?

TT

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thanks Caleb. I thought it was a load of BS but wanted to see what the expert consensus was. Coming out of a gasser, my only observation is that you are really busy shifting in this thing. I can't wind her up over 4000 to merge on the interstate in this rig. On the flip side, I don't have to downshift going up hills anymore.
FWIW i didnt do any towing or rough driving for the first couple of hundred miles but i did use higher gears for pulling out, as u drive u will learn that u can skip gears also i do alot of 2-4-6 upshifting while just crusing around!!!

Good Luck,
Caleb

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You don't need to use first gear but I found out once I used it enough shifting out of first is a lot easier. Otherwise it will stay very tight and hard to shift when you need it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You thinking about using BioDiesel?

TT
Biodiesel isn't real common around here for some reason. When I have run into it in the past, it is usually B20. I'll probably just run good ole #2 in it.

I put about 120 miles on it today driving around to visit friends and family. When I didn't have traffic to contend with, I launched it in 1st gear. The 1-2 shift is a little tricky since the shifter is centered between 4 & 5. It makes it easy to miss 2nd gear. Apart from that, the shift characteristics are very smooth. I got into a couple of times after it was warm, but still kept the rpm's under 2500 before shifting. I noticed I could take a lot of corners in 4th gear, when the same corners had to be taken in 2nd gear with the old truck. This truck has more torque off idle than I had at 4000 rpm with my Vortec. That makes it darn near impossible to bog down without a load.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The ride sounds Soooo Sweet !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congrats to both you guys, makes me all warm inside, with the talk of all these new six speeds.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll try to get some pics in the garage later this week after the monsoon ends. I still have a big stupid grin on my face today. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts