Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did as search but couldn't find this.

Is there a break in period for these engines? Haynes diesel manual says to accelerate WOT from 30-50 for 10-12 times to seat the rings and then drive it normally for 500 miles. Does this sound right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You could also hold it in a lower gear and accelerate fairly hard to wind the gear up then let off completely, let it decrease in speed and do it over and over for a while. Coasting and idling is bad.

·
Registered
740 Posts
DavidPhillips;1595610; said:
You could also hold it in a lower gear and accelerate fairly hard to wind the gear up then let off completely, let it decrease in speed and do it over and over for a while. Coasting and idling is bad.

That's what I've done on Gas rebuilds.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Load it up but dont over rev the the engine....and DO 2 0R 3 OIL CHANGES IN THE FIRST COUPLE HUNDRED MILES. there is always lots of machining material (read abrasive) in the engine, just for fun cut your filter open and have a look it will look like liquid metal in the bottom of your filter. After my engine was done I went thru a 5gallon pail of oil in the first 500KMs.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
did you ask engine reman, they might have required/recommended procedure. that would be first procedure. i have seen different procedures for engines, last one was warm up engine to op-temp, make run(about block) to 1/3 x3, then 2/3 x3 and full x3, shut down engine and let engine cool down in between each run. main thing have always done is make sure not to keep engine speed varing, don't hold at steady speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts