Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum and to diesel pickups in general, I just purchased an 04 chev 2500hd w/ the duramax/allison. I am wondering what the proper break in is before installing a chip/programmer or if it is ok to go for it right away. I have about 1500 miles on it now. Any info on this would be appreciated.

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
Don't know if there is a "proper" break-in period or not for power uprgrades. I know I've had power upgrades on mine since 57 miles

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I waited 500 miles only because the brown truck was late.........time for the juice

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I'm not the most qualified here but from all I've read here so far it seems the issue is more about how much power you add not whether to add power.

Some have run 125 & 135 but the consensus seems to be 90 - 110 tops.

Most of the posts seem to indicate 90HP is a prudent limit without potential consequences for the allison. Also, if you tow, from all I've read the collective wisdom here seems to indicate you should have EGT & Boost gauges to monitor the effect of the power added.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I waited until 1000 miles....couldn't figure out which box I wanted to run.. hehehehe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts