Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for help and guidance with installing a pyromoter and boost gauge in my '06 LBZ. I have been to BDMAX's Guide To Gauge Hotness, the Kenedy Diesel site, and read every post I could in this group. They have given me the confidence to try it.

I am going to go with a rig like BDMAX's except with ISSPRO gauges.

Now for my question...Has anybody here done this install in the new '06 LBZ???

The spot where BDMAX goes through the firewall is obstructed by a glow plug controller. I have been climing around under the dash and in the engine compartment and haven't found a suitable place to breach the firewall. Plus the SD manifold that BDMAX uses for his boost gauge is still in R&D with SD.

Any help, advice, and pictures would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Unless they changed it you should be able to drill a hole where the factory drills one for the snow plow prep package. Make it a bigger hole, like an inch so you can run other wires thru there too later when you add more to the truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found It

I believe I have found it. On the inside of the cab there is a 3" diameter tab, located above the relay box, that can be removed to reveal the metal firewall and a dimple, which I assume is the drill point for the snow plow package which Diesel Dragon spoke of. On the engine compartment side the dimple is behind some black insulation about 4-5" to the driver's side of the lower mounting bolt for the master cylinder. There are also some faint white dashed lines on the black insulation, which I assume is the cut marks to reveal the dimple.

Now for the next trick, getting the drill motor and bit into the close quarters to actually drill the holes :cool: .

I will post pictures as the project progresses.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
That's not it.

Look above the gas pedal there should be a spot with no insulation on the firewall.

And on the engine side there is nothing there either. Somewhere above the valve cover area.

You can drill it from the engine side, just go slow and make sure theres no wires on the inside in your way.

I'll see if I can find a picture of the spot.

Any one have a picture in their garage to show him?

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Find the wire that's plugged into the throttle pedal.
Follow that wire through the channel under the steering column.
Follow it to above the relay box where it goes through the firewall.

It's maybe 4 or 5 wires, and the hole in the firewall is about 2".

Pop the grommet out and you can run the boost/pyro leads through the same grommet.

No drilling needed.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Find the wire that's plugged into the throttle pedal.
Follow that wire through the channel under the steering column.
Follow it to above the relay box where it goes through the firewall.

It's maybe 4 or 5 wires, and the hole in the firewall is about 2".

Pop the grommet out and you can run the boost/pyro leads through the same grommet.

No drilling needed.

You can fit a 1/0 gauge power lead through that grommet :ro)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really Found It

Thanks everybody,
I found the gromet you were speaking of and think I will be able to get he pyro leads and pressure tubing through it.

Now all I have to do is make up my mind on what I am going to purchase. I think I have over analyzed and read too many posts in this forum:eek: .

I keep flip-flopping between analog gauges and a Bully Dog product (power pup or triple dog) with an outlook monitor. With the analog gauges I want to wait until SD comes out with their manifold for the LBZ, which he said could be at least two weeks, and I'm not a good waiter, I wanted all this done "yesterday":D . I like the Bully Dog product, but also like the look of the analog gauges mounted in the overhead... ARGHHHHHHHH... Somebody PLEASE stop me!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Triple Dog Not Out

RichLockyer,
No I Don't think it is out yet, This is from the Bully Dog site...

2006 GM Duramax LLY and LBZ

Triple Dog: 40500 Coming Soon
Triple Dog Combo: Coming Soon
Outlook Monitor: Coming Soon
Power Pup: 43568

Exhaust:
4” 409 Stainless catback 183440
4” 304 stainless catback 183340
4” Aluminized catback 183040
4” Aluminized dual catback 183240
5” Aluminized catback 183026
Intake: Coming Soon

Which gives me even more reason to scream:eek: :eek: :eek: . It doesn't seem like very many electronic performance mods are ready for LBZs yet, and like I said before I am not a patient person:mad: .[/LEFT]

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I could not find a good spot to drill thru the firewall. Eventually I just poked thru the large rubber grommet that the main wire bundle passes thru to the side of the main bundle. It is also soft rubber so there is no wire chaffing. Seems to work fine, I have put on several thousand miles.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
It doesn't seem like very many electronic performance mods are ready for LBZs yet, and like I said before I am not a patient person:mad: .
Be happy that we have what we have... the Power Pup and a couple of PPE products. IIRC, it was over a year before many LLY products came out, and TTS is still about a month away from an LLY release of the Extreme.

First and fast doesn't always equal "best". The PPE Duramaximizer was the first, and being a rail pressure booster, is arguably far from the "best".

Another way to look at it is that out of the box, you already have power levels that could smoke an '05 transmission and would take a $400 box to get.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you want to work hard at it, you can feed additional wires through the existing firewall hole. The existing harness connects to the left dash panel and the under dash panel then goes through a large rubber gromit then plugs into the underhood fuse box. pull the plastic off the fuse box and the fender brace and caredully unwrap the tape until you expose the rubber then stick a stiff wire through and use it to pull your wires then re wrap the electrical tape and split loom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts