Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i mentioned before about this problem but i thought it was just a freak thing that happened once.
but then this morning i did the same thing. 5 F last night but i had the block heater on all night, i went to turn the key and got nothing but a single click sound. I tried this a bunch of times, same thing.
So instead of crawling under there in the ice i took a gasser to go where i had to go, came back 4 hours later, it had warmed up a bit, and of course now it starts. Started up a few times to test, no problems.
The people at DB electrical said they will send a new one out but i would hate to do that to them if there was any chance it was something else. But my old starter never once did this.

Could very cold weather have anything to do with starter problems? I really think all the wires are good, i checked them out when i replaced it and attached them well, at least i think.
Anyone else have this happen?
thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
136 Posts
the clicking would happen from low batterys....could it being cold make the battery that much less powerful?? just a thought

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
As I noted before, you need to check the wiring VERY carefully. It's either a defective starter or a wiring problem...

While we're on the topic, I am starting to get a little suspicious about the ignition switch/wiring on my truck, so I wired up a backup system for emergencies... Very simple to do. All you need is a wire from the battery to the solenoid with a flip switch somewhere in the line... I put mine under the hood. That way if you ever go out and your truck won't start due to a wiring issue you just flip the switch...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Make sure your battery connectors have a good connection. Mine had stripped screws and I had to upgrade the connectors to get the problem to go away.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Make sure the wires on the starter are good an tight. I had many other motors do that and I wasted time pulling the starter and testing it then breaking the solenoid trying to put it back in and then it just being loose wires the whole time.

·
Registered
454 Posts
bad ignition switch, or bad conections at the starter or batt cables. clean and inspect them all carefully.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies.
the question of the battery cables comes up several times and i think they are good and tight. If there was a bad connection, though, wouldn't that mean that cab would not have any power? When i have this problem the gauges, glow plugs, etc will all come on when i turn the switch to the appropriate positions.
also, there was a time when one of my cables did have a stripped screw but it would still turn over, just very weak, until i fixed it. In this situation the engine won't turn at all, just a click. Then eventually the starter will engage.
thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
That really sounds like a bad connection or wiring issue somewhere...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so if i were to run a jumper, with the ignition on, from the small terminal on the starter to the main terminal, the starter should engage, right? that's what someone from the place where i bought it told me as a way to test it. He said i do that and it does not engage they will just send another one.
Is that the correct test?
thanks,
paul

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Sounds good to me... Should work if the starter is good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When this happened to me the first time it was bad batteries, the second time was a bad starter. Can you get a load test on the batteries?

Gerald

·
Registered
454 Posts
A bad connection can work fine, until a large load is put on it, and then it can't transfer the power. sounds like what your truck is doing. might even be a batt cable going bad inside one of the ends. I had troubles with my diesel scout clicking alot instead of starting, kinda temperamental. finally put new cables on one day and the problem dissapeared. Don't forget grounds, they're just as important and the positive side.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
come to think of it, if the starter is making a clicking noise but not engaging, that means the wires to and from the ignition switch are fine otherwise there would be nothing.
The batteries are new and the starter cables are well connected at the batteries.
Wouldn't that mean it would have to be either the starter cables bad somewhere or the starter itself? What else could it be if not one of these?
I suppose there could be a bad connection where the starter cables attach to the starter but it seems unlikely because the bolt was tightened down well and the terminal at the end of the cable was clean.
thanks,
paul

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Don't forget that you've also got several ground connections to deal with. Most of the 6.2s I have seen use one ground strap from each battery, and the ground straps usually go directly to the engine, but still follow the wires down from the - battery terminals and check all of those connections.

If you hit the key and it clicks once but doesn't start spinning if you hold the key, either the starter or solenoid is malfunctioning or there is a wiring problem or loose connection that won't flow enough current to spin up the starter. If you hit the key and it clicks more than once it is definitely a connection that is bad somewhere.

Have you tried jumping the terminals on the starter yet? That will tell you a lot about what is causing the problem...

·
Registered
2 Posts
since all the connections have been checked and are tight , I suspect either the starter or corrosion inside the battery cables, bad cables are overlooked too many times.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you confirmed that your new batteries are good? Check that the voltage is 12.9 at least and that each cell has a high specific gravity (good reading on my battery tester).

On one of my cars the battery voltage was 12.4 but one cell had a very low specific gravity (5 others were good) and the starter would just click.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts