Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the motor in a truck wears out. Would you replace it or machine it and rebuild it. Were of course talking strictly duramax's here. I want to know because I'm thinking about buying a 2002 Silverado but am curious about the longevity of the motor. It has 140k on it and the allison. I would imagine that this motor would be reliable for much longer than that though.

Even if you don't think that I would need a new motor (which I know you won't) where can you get a brand-new duramax motor from (out of curiousity)?

Please convince me that this truck will be reliable even with its "high" mileage. It's really clean and I want it. How long do you think that these motors are reliable for? What if I put a bunch of BANKS upgrades on it. Will that affect reliability too?

Should I actually have anything to worry about or am I just bantering on for nothing?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody knows how or where to get a new engine from?

·
Registered
76 Posts
longevity

If you will keep the power boxes off it change the fluids on time and drive it reasonably and the previous owner has not driven it around all creation with a crankcase full of diesel due to bad injectors the rig and engine will likely last 450-500k. They are made that well.

Fix the transfer case asap with Merchant Automotives pump and you are pretty much good to go.
Dale

·
Registered
266 Posts
DieselDale;1581977; said:
If you will keep the power boxes off it change the fluids on time and drive it reasonably and the previous owner has not driven it around all creation with a crankcase full of diesel due to bad injectors the rig and engine will likely last 450-500k. They are made that well.

Fix the transfer case asap with Merchant Automotives pump and you are pretty much good to go.
Dale
I was under the impression 250K was the intended service life. I've yet to see 450+, anyone else??

·
Registered
264 Posts
A real good friend told me that an 03 LB7 pulled in to were he works the other day and had over 700,000 on it! He talked to the guy that owned it and he said he hauls parts for a company 7 days a week all over the US. He ask him if he had any major problems with it. I think he said he replaced a set of injectors, alternator, batterys, and was on his third seat that ready to be replaced again because the springs were coming through. He said he just kept the fluids changed when they should be. I thought this was awesome. IMO, this guy and his truck need to be on a chevy commercial!

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
[email protected];1582157; said:
I was under the impression 250K was the intended service life. I've yet to see 450+, anyone else??

there are dozens and dozens with over 400,000 thousand miles on them. Just because GM "rates" the service life at "200,000 miles" doesnt mean its going to blow up at 200,001 miles..........

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
ZF6 Puller;1582235; said:
A real good friend told me that an 03 LB7 pulled in to were he works the other day and had over 700,000 on it! He talked to the guy that owned it and he said he hauls parts for a company 7 days a week all over the US. He ask him if he had any major problems with it. I think he said he replaced a set of injectors, alternator, batterys, and was on his third seat that ready to be replaced again because the springs were coming through. He said he just kept the fluids changed when they should be. I thought this was awesome. IMO, this guy and his truck need to be on a chevy commercial!

:nopics:

I wanna see that odometer :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
DieselDale;1581977; said:

Dale
Ditto. I'm planing on at least 500k on mine. Then who knows may throw a new engine in. Which I'm sure can be picked up at the stealership, if you want to pay too much, or O'reillys, Napa & such.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you take care of the duramax ,It will take care of you with plenty of life.

·
Registered
861 Posts
dmaxalliTech;1582653; said:
Got one in the shop right now for an overhaul, 505,000 miles on it.

Split a piston in half...
how much does an over haul cost? like a ball park figuer?

·
Registered
330 Posts
dmaxalliTech;1582653; said:
Got one in the shop right now for an overhaul, 505,000 miles on it.

Split a piston in half...
So they can last to 504,999

:)

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
maxy;1582683; said:
If you take care of the duramax ,It will take care of you with plenty of life.
And what happens at the end of that life? It won't last forever even if you treat it infinately well. There's a limit to the life, ktmrdr is asking what that limit generally is.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I've got a couple that gave out at 300,000, but they were ran HARD all their life and chipped.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am also curious on the cost of having an LB7 overhauled... I keep my eye on Ebay for Duramax trucks, the average mileage on them seems to be around 200,000 miles. Have seen a few with 300,000 - 325,000 miles. I am hoping to see 250,000 + out of mine...

·
Registered
32 Posts
My '01 blew up at 247,000 miles while driving on a flat highway at 65 mph pulling about 8,000 lbs, no chip.

I had it hauled to my local dealer and they replaced the engine with a "long block" for $13,500 installed. Unless I wanted to pay to take the engine apart, they would not dismantle it to see what caused the problem. We did see some scratch marks on the intake track of the #4 cylinder head.

The long block comes with a turbo and water pump but they reused my injector pump which had been replaced at about 130,000 miles.

That was 9 months and 60,000 miles ago. I just got it out of the shop where they replaced 2 injectors. The new engine warranty was 100,000 so the injectors were covered. Unlike the complete injector replacement they did on my old motor at 197,000 under warranty, they will only replace the bad injectors on the replacement motor per the local GM Factory rep.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you can get another motor from GM? That sounds okay. 13,500 sounds a little steep though. Not for anything but the assembled motor? I assume it's the whole motor because you said it was a long block.

At any rate, I'm getting the truck for only obo 9k. So with 147k on the odometer I should be able to drive that around for quite a long time. It's gonna be a daily driver to work and then will be driven to vacation sort of things

·
Premium Member
9,403 Posts
$9000? Is it a 4x4? If so that sounds real reasonable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
a factory rebuild at the dealer in fresno is a little over 7k with a 3k core charge. install was another 3.9k. i know this because my torque converter bolts came loose and a bolt wedged and took out a peice of my flywheel. the were trying to tell me my crank had a spider crack in it. they were wrong thank god i checked it out myself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a 4x4.

It's really quite expensive for a new motor/to have anything done to these isnt it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts