Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is in the shop for a plethora of nagging repairs.
One of the repairs was the ABS light was on so they replaced the control module and the light is out. During his road test the brakes work fine until the truck reaches 5mph then the abs light comes on and the steering wheel shakes so bad it almost rips it out of your hands (per the mechanic). He says he has an idea what it is but I didn't bother asking him (I should have) so I thought I'd ask here.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
Bad front wheel speed sensor signal. There is one in each front hub bearing assembly.

Based on experience here, the only reason to change the module is for certain codes to exist, when checked with a scan tool.
The front sensor signals (s) are degraded either due to corrosion "lifting" the sensor(s) out of range, or a sloppy, worn out, bearing unit, which moves the reluctor away from the sensor.

"Has an idea what it is" doesn't sound as if your mechanic is well enough versed.
And, if the ABS module were changed, they had damned well better do an "automated brake bleed procedure" or the 1st time that you really need ABS, the brakes will disappear.
The front wheel speed sensor most likely won't generate a fault code, but the ABS unit failure absolutely would.

So you have the code(s) that warranted changing the ABS unit?

Reactions: DUO_CORE

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, had the code, ABS light and truck had no anti-lock until the module was changed and bled. After that, the ABS light was off and he road tested it and had the low speed issue. The ole' truck has 170,000 miles on her so maybe it needs bearing and sensors:
So far he done a new fuel tank sending unit, axle seals, #4 glow plug, tail gate cable and hardware, hood cable, carrier bearing, fuel lines, SRS sensor, and exhaust, rear brakes from the axle leaking on them. I lobbied for a new truck but the wife loves her baby so......lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
If things go wonky at low speeds, it is probably the wheel sensors. I would get all new hubs and be done with it. I chased this problem on my sons 1/2 for a long time. It threw codes and everything else but it was a set of $30 dollar hubs. This is a common problem on Chevy's at least their Silverado 1/2 tons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All fixed:
New Moog wheel hub/wheel bearing assemblies on both sides.

·
Administrator
16,694 Posts
All fixed:
New Moog wheel hub/wheel bearing assemblies on both sides.
Glad your issue is resolved.
Thanks for giving us an update!

(y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts