Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a new to me '98 6.5 dually. The previous owner said he did the front brakes and looked at the rears and said they were fine (gave me new shoes in a box).

After having driven 2004 and 2013 6L gas CC LWB trucks for the sing 2005, I find that this truck has poor braking. The pedal is lower than what I am used to. I also feel that most of the braking is being done in the rear. The front does not seem to dip under hard braking. If I have to hit the brakes hard, it seems quite easy to lock the rears. ABS is not functional. I was told that the wire is broken at a front wheel sensor.

No obvious leaks, the master is full....where should I start looking?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I think step one would be to look at the front calipers? maybe see if they move when someone hits the pedal.

maybe the fronts just need bleeding, or the calipers need to be rebuilt/replaced, or the caliper slides are stuck, or grease/oil on the pads/disc or the pads are glazed.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Could have dust in the rear drums causing them to want to lock up. Rear brakes need adjusting to take out poor pedal. Sometimes the ABS needs to be activated by a scan tool to remove trapped air. New calipers up front would improve things.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
For bleeding the system, I would suggest assuming the entire system has some air in it, and start with bench-bleeding the MC (you can do it on the truck...), then bleeding all 4 corners.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Getting a look at the rears would be good. Axle grease or brake fluid can make them grabby. While you are in there check the backing plates for grooves. When the plates get grooved odd things start to happen.

Do these depend on the abs to keep the rears from locking up? Or did they still have that mechanical valve thing attached to the axle?

If its not 4x4 the abs sensors would for sure be replaceable. Even if its 4x4 the sensors usually bolt onto the bearings its just you have to remove the bearing from the knuckle to access it.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Were the rotors replaced? If they were ever overheated they get hard spots and the pads won't grab as good as they should.
I'd take the rears apart. Check for frozen adjusters and non-functioning self adjuster mechanism. Change all the brake fluid. It should be changed every 2 years at a minimum. I wouldn't trust what PO said was done and how things looked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As suggested, I have a feeling that it will be best to go over it from end to end. I often find that many people are not as fussy as I am when it comes to my vehicles....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts