Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY ALL! UPON INSPECTING MY FRONT AND REAR BRAKES TODAY. I WAS ALARMED WHEN I LOOKED AT MY REAR DISCS !!! I HAVE 25000 MILES ON MY TRUCK . THE REAR DISCS HAVE MANY LINES SCORED IN THEM ALL ACROSS THE DISC ON BOTH SIDES INSIDE AND OUT THEY ARE SO DEEP YOU CAN REALLY FEEL THEM WITH YOUR FINGER NAIL, I PULLED OFF MY WHEELS AND I HAVE OVER AN 1/2 INCH OF PAD!!! WHATS UP WITH THAT???? THIS CANT BE NORMAL CAN IT!!! ALSO MY FRONT BRAKES ARE NICE AND SMOOTH BUT I NOTICED A BUNCH OF LITTLE CRACKES IN THE DISCS BOTH SIDES WHAT GIVES!!! IF I AM DRIVEING AROUND TOWN AND SLOWLY BRAKE I FEEL A PULSE FEELING IF I HIT THEM HARDER ITS NOT THERE WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK

·
Registered
448 Posts
The grooves can come from rocks sitting on top of the calipers, or so I've been told. The cracks can be considered normal if there only surface cracks and very small at that. The pads appear to last at least 75,000 miles of normal driving. Towing, short trips etc. can shorten that. The pulse may be an out of round rotor, incorrectly torqueing the wheel lugs is one thing that can cause that. Having the rotors turned can correct a slight warp, but if the lugs are not correctly torqued it can reappear.Edited by: a64pilot

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I have noticed the same scoreing on all my discs with 36K miles on them. So far, no impact on the braking, as far as noise or pulling. I just had an alignment done and then rechecked. Going down the road the truck wants to wander over the centerline. The alignment guy said that may be a result of a dragging caliper. What do you guys think about this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you have a caliper that's dragging enough to cause the truck to pull left or right, then it'll get hotter'n Hell if driven at highway speed for any amount of time. You can check by letting her coast down from highway speed then pull over using the min. amount of brake possible. All four rotors should be warm, but not real hot. They should also be about the same temp. If three are warm and one hot enough to fry spit, then there's your problem.

·
Registered
692 Posts
i have seen rear pads wear more with vechicle that pull
a load more often. sounds like the rotors are warrped.
purface cracks are normal. if they break or chip thats not with the miles and time it should still be covered under warranty. at least our dealer does

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
ok i got 15k and my rear pads are shot.... they were squeeling..... bent the feeler and ordered pads..... BTW pads listed at over 200

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I would think the fronts would have gone before the rears, not at 15K! Are you towing everywere you go?

Happy Holidays

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Deadeye said:
pilot;

Thanks. Good idea. I will check it this afternoon!!

I did. after a 50 mile hiway trip the calipers were cold ( 29* ambient temp) but the rotors were too hot to touch for more than 1/2 sec. both front ones were about the same temp. Seems that the tech is wrong. Something is not quite right about the lift installation?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts