Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having the brake pads freezing to the rotors ?
This happens after driving through snow maybe four inches deep and up , then parking for a while in freezing weather , it takes a lot of throttle to get them to break loose. Any resolve for this ?

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
It is extremely common to have the pads not free to slide in the mounting ears even on 6k mile GM trucks. Remove the caliper like you were changing brake pads and then attempt:mad: to slide out the pads, per GM's design. They won't, at least on several corners.

In other words, it's not the freezing water, but the rusted, therefore binding brake pads.

I can't believe there isn't a sticky on removing the corrosion under the stainless clips but the cast steel rusts and scales under the stainless clips until the pads won't slide (float).

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
most of the time when people have the problem you speak of which I do see alot they never notice. but if you park your vehicle with wet brakes they will freeze to the rotor.

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
We've parked them ('99, '02, and '04 2500's, '03 1500's, and '05 and '06 3500's) in all kinds of weather, mud, ice, mystery slop, etc. and never froze the disc brakes. After all, we're a utility contractor and it's all the employees responsibility to do dumb things with the trucks.

The only other thing that comes to mind is aftermarket brake pads. I run strictly ACDelco red, white and blue box.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Haven't been in enough snow yet. They got 2 1/2 feet about 65 miles from here. Can still see some bare ground where I live. Now I'll be watching for the freezing brakes.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
IIRC the pawl for the Allison is rated at 21000 pounds, so unless you fear it jumping out of park, there's nothing really necessary about putting the parking break on. I think it's a good habit, but seriously, what's the point? I think it's more of an emergency break than a parking break with this beast. And before anyone goes telling me I'm an idiot, I still put mine on, just to maintain good habit patterns, unnecessary as it seems.

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
roswell;1564686; said:
IIRC the pawl for the Allison is rated at 21000 pounds, so unless you fear it jumping out of park, there's nothing really necessary about putting the parking break on. I think it's a good habit, but seriously, what's the point? I think it's more of an emergency break than a parking break with this beast. And before anyone goes telling me I'm an idiot, I still put mine on, just to maintain good habit patterns, unnecessary as it seems.
What a bout manual trannys.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
roswell;1564686; said:
they are definately not emergency brakes they wont stop the truck and if they were able to it would take a lot more room than you would have avaliable. if they wrote emergency brake on the handle some dumbass would sue gm for it. and I dont think he was refering to them anyway he means the service brakes.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It is common, mine froze after I parked at work this moring, wind was blowing and snow was drifting, pads were froze to the disc's when I went to lunch the high today so far is 5 degrees, and I never set the park brake, that is just asking for problems here in the cold and snowy north ):h

·
Registered
97 Posts
roswell;1564686; said:

Try getting that pawl out of park if you have parked on a severe incline or decline and did not set the parking brake 1st. If the truck is loaded...you may be screwed.

BTW..I had the brakes freeze on my 95 Ford F3504x4 more than once. Like someone said...drag the brakes to heat them up a bit and try not to park in deep slushy snow.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I use the park brake all the time so that the cable does not rust from disuse. I have had the brakes freeze occassionally, just requires a bit more throttle to get moving.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Tutts;1566558; said:
I use the park brake all the time so that the cable does not rust from disuse. I have had the brakes freeze occassionally, just requires a bit more throttle to get moving.

how does using the parking brake keep the cable from rusting? not making sense to me, your just draggin the cable when you step on the pedal.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Does the cable not run in a protective sheath? I have had them rust in this on other vehicles if they are not used. Maybe ours our different, I don't know?

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Tutts;1566558; said:
Using it does prevent seizing, but not at the cable. The shoe actuators that transfer the force thru the backing plate have been known to seize up.

Again, back to the thread. I'm still dumbfounded that pads can freeze to the rotors. All my trucks in the fleet and I haven't seen it. Big rig trailer drums , on the other hand:mad: .

I still say that the pads aren't moving as designed. Yes, it takes power to free them up, but it's rust, not water, that is the culprit.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Tutts;1566799; said:
Does the cable not run in a protective sheath? I have had them rust in this on other vehicles if they are not used. Maybe ours our different, I don't know?
now a days the cable inside the casing is also coated with teflon or some kind of platice to prevent rust and freezing. using the park brake to prevent problems isnt really necesarry now. does help to keep things in adjustment though most of the pedals are self adjusting

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I'll add my 5 cents here. It's not rust in my situation.....here in the friggen great white north.
All my years in this cold Canadian climate, I can say that pretty much every truck I've every owned has had the brake pads freeze. Of course this is only after driving in the snow and parking the truck. It does help to keep the pedal pressed to heat the brakes up before parking, but it's just as easy to press on the gas and break them free the next time you drive. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts