Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 K3500 that I got off a service company. They changed out the brake fluid to DOT5. I have anti-lock brakes. Is it OK to have DOT5 in these??? Someone said I should only use at most DOT4 because DOT5 will foam in the lines.

·
Registered
444 Posts
This is not good! Dot 5 is a silicone base. ABS brakes pump the fluid and silicone will foam and give a spongy break.

More important. Many Dot 3 & 4 brake system parts are not compatable with Dot 5 and will soften or corrode.

Another reason manufacturers like the DOT 3 and 4 fluids is that it is hydroscopic and holds water. At first you may think this is a bad thing. But it keeps the water in suspension and it does not settle in low spots and cause rust and corrosion in the brake system. Whereas with DOT 5 the water will puddle in the low spots. (Hum? one for the emulsify-demulsify diesel fuel additive affectionatos to think about
).

Because it holds water, it should be changed every 2 years.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
326 Posts
Good info JohnnyO. But how does one go about changing the brake fluid? That, and power steering, are the only fluids I don't change regularly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here's the easiest way to change the brake fluid, and have all the air out when your are done. I would start by emptying out most of the fluid in the master cylinder first, so you are not pushing more DOT 5 through the system. Then use this bleeder to push all the old fluid out, and new fluid in.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/index.htm

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems strange that the pipline service company would run something like DOT5 in their brakes if it is soo bad. Should I run DOT4 then? Isnt that synthetic?

The reason I ask is that it gets to -60F below here at times and synthetic seems to be the thing to use to make sure all the parts work.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi Jim Wilson -

Regarding your question on how to change the fluid. I wrote something up on brake fluids and how to change the fluid.

I posted it under:

HD & 3500 Trucks
Brake System & Fluid MaintenanceEdited by: JohnnyO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts