Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing preventive maintenance on my ’01 Duramax the other day and came across an interesting problem with the brakes. I had intended to pull the rotors so I could clean the antilock toothed wheel and sensor, check the pads, inspect the calipers and just in general check things over. I removed the “pins” that hold the caliper in place, and pulled the caliper. Finally figured out how to get the pads out and was left with a “bracket” that holds the pads and calipers. Still could not get the rotors off. My question is: Do you simply remove the 18 MM bolts on the inside of the bracket and remove the bracket and then remove the rotors?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Simple answer.........Yes.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the short answer may be "YES" but I am still having trouble.

I tried to get the bracket off this afternoon and did not have any success. I could not get the bolts out. I was using an 18” breaker bar. Is there a trick to this or do I just need a length of pipe on the breaker bar? They are RIGHT HANDED bolts aren’t they?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
i personally would love to know.... i fought mine for an hour before i gave up

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
They are regular right hand thread bolts with a lot of thread lock on them. They are a pain to get out. I use a large 18mm wrench and a large plastic dead blow hammer to break them free. They will be hard to turn all the way out. Make sure to put more thread lock them when they go back in. Edited by: GMCSID

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are these bolts subject to falling out or something? Why all the thread lock. On my old Chevy truck, when ever I removed the brakes I would put a small dab of wheel bearing grease (it is what I have available for a variety of jobs) on the end of the bolt so it threaded in easier. I never had a bolt loosen up even a bit.

I'd also put a small bit on the end of the wheel lugs to keep them from rusting/coroding up. Are these "bad" things to do?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I finally got around to working on the brakes again on my wife’s Duramax. I got my son to help. He is young and strong and likes to work on trucks. We managed to break all of the bolts loose on the caliper brackets. We used an 18-inch breaker bar and a 3-foot piece of 1-inch pipe. Like GMCSID said they were hard to turn all the way out. Interestingly enough, the first turn was about a hard as the last one. Apparently the bolts are not torqued all that much but the thread locker is want holds them in. We cleaned them up with a 10,000 rpm wire wheel and we put them back in with our fingers. Then we torqued them to 125 foot-pounds on the back and 150 on the front.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Let me ask this: I've been burned in the past by using large bars on stuck bolts i.e. I've broken more than one or two bolts in my day. I'm sure every one here has quite a few broken bolt stories. Anyway, can you use an impact wrench to get these out? Aren't impact wrenches suppose to be better about not breaking the bolts when they are stuck?

I haven't look too much at the backside of my brakes so maybe there is no room.

Just curious. Thanks

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Steve that pic is hilarious

chevmiester.... bet you can't do thatEdited by: hoot

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are exactly correct, there is no room for an impact wrench. As a mater of fact, you must turn the front wheels right and left, lock to lock to get enough room to work, and the back bolts are next to the springs. We JUST did have enough room to get the bar and socket in. Going from a 1/2 drive to 3/8 after we moved it out a little. With the 3/8 drive it took both of us pulling to move the bolts. This is another case of poor maintenance design, or not designed for maintenance.

As to the picture, I wan not trying to be funny; I was simply trying to show the position you find yourself in to get enough leverage to move the bolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts