Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dam .. today .. i pulled off me e brake and the light stayed on. it seems it was still on but kinda full.. hard to explain. i press the brakes they go straight to the floor no pressure, hardly any braking power...... could it be the E brake is stuck on ? or did i pinch a line when i did the inline pump.... any suggestions.........takes alot of pressure right to the floor to get any brakes.......?? :help2: please

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Check the fluid 1st. If it's empty you will see where it leaked out becuase of the pressure it covers a good area when it sprays out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would think the brake master cylinder has bit the dust. Is acting just like the one on my caddy did. Ahem, by the way, have you given any consideration that your truck is possessed by evil gremlins???.........I have never seen one person have sooooooo much trouble out of a single vehicle in my life....I think we all need to collect some 4 leaf clovers and rabbit feet to send you.....(lol)....

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
i'll get ya some c4. buddy is military. he knows where the ammo is kept. no but seriously i'd check to see if the e brake pin switch didn't stick. should be up near the drivers kick board. look for wires and follow it to the switch. had a car once and because of moisture over that side it rusted a bit and stuck. if not make sure brake fluid is topped off or you could end up in that bank you are talking about. ED

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yupe......i shoulda let it go eh........ downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn to the river..... sheesh...... now you wonder why i have so many posts for being on here a short time......lol...

I am going to bleed the brakes in the morning...... see if i can get more pressure...... omg.. so many other little things too..........like low rpms and black smoke blowin out the exhaust. all just today..:rolleyes: .Censored

I really dont hate it. just pay alot more attention. funny you blow the heads and all this other stuff just goes on and on..

Nothing every happened to it before.......ran beautiful..i need more then luck.........

four leaf clovers arent going to help at this time.. unless i can use them as gaskets or something.. and the rabbit feet well.. dont kill it on my behalf.. wont be too lucky for the rabbit......lol

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Does the pedal get firmer when you pump the brakes about 5 times quickly and hold them? If not, probably master cylinder. If they do then bleeding might help. Hard to imagine getting air in the line all of the suddedn if you didn't have the system open for some reason. If it all started when you did the Ebrake, and was fine before, sounds more like a hardware problem than hydraulic, drums on the back I assume? Ebrake is cable to the rear drums?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Jenn,

It's hard to tell if this is related to your e-brake or not. The light stays on when the pin switch isn't closed by the e-brake pedal. The pedal may not be coming up all the way or the switch could be bad. This wouldn't explain your braking trouble though...

The brake light will also come on when the system senses a failure in part of the system. If the front or rear systems have a loss of fluid, it will move the switch in the proportioning valve off-center, turning on the brake light. I have had this happen when I had a brake line rust through. In that case I had poor braking, a soft pedal, and the brake light on.

I would check the integrity of all the brake lines, the front calipers, and the rear wheel cylinders. Look for leaks. If you don't see any leaks, you may have a mechanical problem with the rear brakes. The transfer bar may have come loose. I have seen this happen on vehicles with poorly adjusted rear brakes.

The master cylinder may be at fault too, but first check things out and let us know what you see.

Jake

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HI back again....... i checked my brake fuel res.. and it was empty this morning.. last night it was full. Filled it back up . pumped them and now have brakes and the light went out.... back on track....... sprung a leak.??. maybe.. cant see anything too cold and dirty to get under there.. will wait and see what happens.......... and keep a bottle of brake fluid with me....

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Rear wheel cylinder maybe. It will collect in the drum making it hard to see.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I agree with JoeyD. I've had to replace my rear wheel cylinders twice and I never saw any drips out of the drums but when I took the drtums off eeeohhh :eek: .

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahhhh. I see........ Is this something i can do.? :)

I am not taking it in to anymore rip off mechanics..........:badidea:

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Was it the rear reservoir that went dry??

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Then it's in the front system. Gotta find the leek and get it fixed, Jenn.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If its a line you can splice in a piece with compression fittimgs. But in all likely hood if the line has a rusted leak you will need to rplace the whole line. I had a perfectly good line get smashed on the way to the right front. An electric fuel pump will work to power bleed the lines. I start at the wheel end with a hose clamped to the bleeder & pump brake fluid til I get a fair amount out of the master cylinder end. I also attach a hose to that end & run it to a clear bottle. Then I reattach the line to the master cylinder & pump a little more & close the bleeder. I've been using the same pump for quite a few years. I also use it to fill the lower units on my boats - I just have to make sure the oil is warm for that. 100 degrees or so.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Was it the rear reservoir that went dry??
Don't know for sure about these trucks, but with many vehicles the front resevoir is for the rear brakes, and the rear resevior is for the fronts.
Might be wise to make sure...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
fill it & pump it til you find out where it's going. Usually easier with 2 people.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
You are correct... the front reservoir is for the rear brakes!!
Don't know for sure about these trucks, but with many vehicles the front resevoir is for the rear brakes, and the rear resevior is for the fronts.
Might be wise to make sure...
Thanks for making that clear guys. I took it for granted that everyone knows which is which. The easisest way to tell is the smaller ones is for the rears and yes it is the FRONT reservoir on the master cyclinder for our trucks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts