Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
2006 Sierra 2500HD

If you had to do it over, which option?

Pre-cut/bent SS kit ($155) or Precut Nicopp kit ($90)

Its not so much the cost. The question is related to routing the lines and getting them in the truck. I don't have a lift.

Don't offer up buy roll of tube and craft it myself. Not going there.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I got the prebent nylon coated steel lines from GM a few years ago, and happy with how they went in. There's a lot of jiggling and figuring out how you want to get them in so they follow the right path around everything else in the truck.

The only disappoint for me was that the kit didn't include the two lines across the rear axle.

I have no experience with your other kind.

Some tips for doing the job:
-take note of which line goes where in the abs box under the cab. It's easy to get the lines in the wrong spot.
-take note of how the lines run along the frame rail and the order they go into the clips, from the front wheel to the abs controller
-be careful with the clips holding the brake lines in place. They are easy to break and many of them are NLA and it is non-trivial to even get used ones as they aren't easy to remove once installed.

I would also recommend replacing all the rubber hoses (there are 5 of them) if you haven't replaced them recently at the same time. And I suggest not getting the Russell SS braided hoses, as I got them and found them to be poorly fabricated (some were either slightly too short or too long), missing or had wrong brackets for holding them down (front lines were missing support to the upper A-arm and had no bracket for the abs cable to clip into), and the ends weren't bent lines the OEM lines were. You may need to get copper washers for the hoses (some come with copper washers, some come with cheaper aluminum ones, some don't come with them).

And when you are doing the rear line, think of how easy it was for me to do on my truck, a cab&chassis with a wood flatbed, where I just had to remove a few boards for easy access to the whole inside of the frame... :stirthepo

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just got done doing SS Brake Lines

I've got a 2005 2500HD and one of my lines rusted out and started leaking under the bed.

I ended up using the Dorman pre bent stainless steel kit.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-oe-solutions-stainless-steel-brake-line-kit-919-146/11148751-P?navigationPath=L1*14921|L2*15008|L3*15690

Like others have said lots of fiddling around and you will need a helper to feed them in.

The worst one (IMO) was the one coming from the right front wheel.

I practiced putting the old one in and out a couple of times before installing the new one.

Good luck. Perhaps you are all done by now.

NH

·
Registered
464 Posts
I used 304 SS pre-bent from Classic Tube. They worked great. Couldn't get them 100% perfect just because they are long and things are in the way. But it was like 95%. I also dropped my tank to get it past the tank and properly clipped.

Also replace fuel lines which started leaking too from Lines to Go, which fit 100% perfect. Much easier than the brake lines. :p

Brake lines are over 10 years old and look like the day I put them on.

Good luck. My vote is for Stainless everywhere. Take your time, if your not done already as I know this thread is old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts