Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a guy flag me down after following about 20 miles to let me know my brake lights had been on the whole way. Got home and darn near pulled every fuse trying to get them off, this was with the truck off. Finally pulled the plug under the dash for my brake controller and killed the lights.
The controller is a digital readout "Impulse". With no trailer it normally reads "E1" which means the trailer is not plugged in. I had started my truck and noticed no readout on the controller which is why I pulled the plug. Of course I can't find any paperwork for the controller.
Any ideas why the controller would cause the brake lights to remain on?

Glad I found the controller was the problem before taking it back to the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It sounds like you have a time delay type of (junk) brake controller. These controllers only use the brake light wire input to control the brakes. My recomendation is to replace it with an inertial controller like the Prodigy.

Now for why the brake lights were on......all electric brake controllers will turn on the brake lights when the manual button/lever is pushed. This switch has failed on your brake controller. It may have also been supplying a small amount of power to to brakes, if you had a trailer hooked up at the time.

Bottom line..........its time to upgrade the brake controller.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Prodigy is the way to go, and has great tech support .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I guess I'll get a good controller. I paid around $75 for this one. It was a Hopper or Hooper... I thought it was a decent controller.
Thanks again!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
possibly wired it wrong??? You could have your stop light wire getting hot all the time....???

·
Registered
851 Posts
That usually happens when the manual overide lever on the controller malfunctions. On most brake controls (not Prodigy) the brake control manual lever will illuminate the brake lights (for safety reasons) so if that malfunctions it can turn the brake lights.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to give an update and kudos to Hopper (Hopkins Mfg.). I contacted them via their website and explained the problem. They are sending me a new brake controller. It's nice to have a company that will back up their product.

Rick..

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'd Still buy a Prodigy.

I just wanted to give an update and kudos to Hopper (Hopkins Mfg.). I contacted them via their website and explained the problem. They are sending me a new brake controller. It's nice to have a company that will back up their product.

Rick..
I'd still buy a Prodigy. No offence. I have driven others (not all) and there is nothing like the control Prodigy gives in its price range.

·
Registered
840 Posts
:exactly:
I'd still buy a Prodigy. No offence. I have driven others (not all) and there is nothing like the control Prodigy gives in its price range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts