Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. A couple of weeks ago, I was leaving work at 3:30 pm and I backed out of my parking stall and proceeded to drive to the exit where I braked and waited to pull onto to the street. I then proceeded turning right and driving about 350 ft when I had to stop for other vehicles at a stop but suddenly the brakes didn't working. I pumped them and nothing so I had to vere to the left and face incoming traffic who quickly got out of my way. The truck travelled about 75 to 100 ft and the whole time I kept pumping the brake and nothing and then all of a sudden, the brakes were back. The truck has 61,000 km's on it and I've never experienced anything like this since purchasing the truck new in October '04. It was about -33 degrees celsius at the time.
Any idea on what caused this?
My friend just experienced the same thing except he lost his brakes and steering. Same weather conditions as me. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
386 Posts
sounds like the brake lines froze up...but thats is highly unlikely unless you where at the top of a stall say 4 stories higher where atmospheric temp will be lower and most likely have wind chill ...Dot 3 heavy duty break fluid has a freezing point of -40 and boiling point of 430...you might have to switch to a lower freeze rated brake fluid...best story is have a qualified mechanic check it out for you... he can pry give you a better answer then I can .....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
dr_unspoken;1583025; said:
sounds like the brake lines froze up...but thats is highly unlikely unless you where at the top of a stall say 4 stories higher where atmospheric temp will be lower and most likely have wind chill ...Dot 3 heavy duty break fluid has a freezing point of -40 and boiling point of 430...you might have to switch to a lower freeze rated brake fluid...best story is have a qualified mechanic check it out for you... he can pry give you a better answer then I can .....

That would be spec rating for new DOT 3, I have never had cold problems, however on the heat side, old fluid will "boil" quicker than new fluid.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll drop in at the dealer and see if they've heard of any reported problems. It's weird that my buddy who owns an '05 Chev extendad cab with the Dmax/Alli had somewhat a similar incident a few days ago.
This is the first in the 20+ years I've been driving.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The only thing that ever stops the brakes and steering at the same time is the Hydroboost Pump, mine went out and I lost both you have to push the brake peddle as hard as you can and they barely work. Sometimes the Hydroboost goes out at once and sometimes it works, then doesn’t, then does, then doesn’t. So if they see this happen more than once take it to the dealer and tell them your Hydroboost Pump is going out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine went out in the snow, so maybe it the Hydroboost Pump does not like the cold?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never had any problems last winter but I'll mention the Hydroboost pump to the dealer and to my buddy. I'm out of the bumper to bumper warranty but he still has his. Thanks

So what's the temps like in California right now? Here we're sitting at about -22 degrees celsius and with the wind, it feels like minus 33 celsius.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am never going to Canada in winter if it gets that cold. We got down pretty low to about 25 Fahrenheit a month ago or so but today is about 56 Fahrenheit and hopefully only getting warmer. I am tired of the winter, especially because our snow fall has been horrible this year in the Sierra Nevada Mountains so not much skiing, which is the only thing winter is good for anyways.

·
Registered
712 Posts
All the pictures in my garage were taken this winter

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't care for the cold either, I love the snow for sledding and taking the kids out tobboganning and stuff but with these cold temps, you can't even go outside and skate on the outdoor rinks unless you wear a full snowmobile outfit but then your feet get cold.
You'll have to come on up in the summer months, the weather is great, 20 - 40 dgrees. I guess we're off topic, thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice truck.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ya we are, but 20 - 40 degress is colder than it gets in the winter down here. You should fill out your garage and Avatar.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
dr_unspoken;1583025; said:
001. The temperature variation over 4 stories (lets sat 12'/story x 4 stories; ~50feet?) would be a few TENTHS of a degree, at most.

002. Windchill has no effect on inanimate objects other than causing temperature equilibrium to occour sooner than in a wind-free enviornment. Basically, if its -33*C, no object will be cooled below -33*C.

003. DOT-3 fluid has a maximum freezing point rating of -40*C; that meaning, for a brake fluid to be certified DOT-3, it cannot have a freezing point ABOVE -40*C. With an outside temperature of -33*C, its very unlikely that the fluid would've actually been frozen. In an '04 truck with ~60,000km on it, it's very unlikely that enough water has hydroscopically combined with the brake fluid to raise it's freezing temperature that significantly.

004. More importantly, Ron stated that his brakes worked fine BEFORE they became non-responsive;
r04dmax;1582597; said:
...proceeded to drive to the exit where I braked and waited to pull onto to the street....
My vote goes to the pump.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
schulte;1583278; said:
004. More importantly, Ron stated that his brakes worked fine BEFORE they became non-responsive;

My vote goes to the pump.
I missed that statement. That is what I get for part time surfing while full time working. I need to fix that problem.

:)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
calirider;1583222; said:
Ya we are, but 20 - 40 degress is colder than it gets in the winter down here. You should fill out your garage and Avatar.
Think Celsius. 20-40 Celsius here in the summer is like 70-110F.

·
Registered
712 Posts
oh, we are stuck back a few decades here in the US in regards to the measurement system

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Just didn't want you thinking that it stayed that cold up here all the time...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts