B&W Turnoverball Hitch................Triffid

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the Prodigy controller plug and play, or do you have to access the hydraulic brake line? I really don't want the grease monkeys at a trailer place putting a T in the brake line. When I had the hitch installed the last time, they mashed the rear wiring harness and made my tail lights go out and I got a ticket. They made nothing on my sale because when they refused to pay the ticket, they were taken to small claims court and I won.

ROB

·
Registered
549 Posts
It is an electric brake controler. No hydraulic lines involved. There should be a plug under your dash that it will plug into. I assume all GM trucks have this but this is just an assumption.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The Prodigy is plug and play if you buy the harness for your specific application, it will have a plug on one end for the truck and a plug on the other end for the Prodigy.

$8.00 to $12.00 for the Prodigy vehicle specific harness depending on where you buy it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you dont buy their harness, there should be a pigtail that came with your truck that will mate up with the pigtail that comes with the prodigy.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yeah you can do that if you want, but the man asked if it was plug and play....

For the $8.00 extra the harness cost when I bought the Prodigy, I wouldn't dig out the wiring stuff to either butt splice those two harnesses or redo one of the plugs...

Just my two cents tho.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If y'all saw me with wiring, you'd know why I asked if it was plug and play. Rob rides the short bus when it comes to all things electrical.

Thanks guys, much appreciated,

ROB

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ok guys I need some help here.
. I want to wire my 5th wheel harness to a 7 pin male plug that mounts in my pick up bed. All the connectors are labeled and numbered. However there is no Yellow connector on the male plug. Also does the red power wire go to the middle connector.

Also should I just buy a 8 pin connector and start all over again.

Thanks

Cos

·
Registered
371 Posts
Zeeb

Thanks for the insight and the link to the other post.

Why can't GM just use the same color code as everyone else

Cosgrove

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hye all I'd like to thank you for all the help. I got the controller and installed it. I towed a Samurai up to a buddy in Pa and the trailer brakes didn't seem to be working.I used the boost feature to see if I could get them to lock up and no go. Now I guess I'm gonna have to take the brakes apart and go through them now!! GRRRRR!! I guess I'm looking at spending some money on the trailer now.

ROB

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Rob,

Did you get the feedback from the Prodigy indicating a connection with the trailer?

If so, and I've not worked on anything but my horse trailer for a number of years, but the brake shoes on it are not self adjusting and that may be all that's wrong.

If you have to take the wheels apart, at least you'll get to pack the bearings and make sure everything else is okay, that's where I was with my horse trailer and the bearings needed it...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's saying that it's communicating between the 2. I'm gonna rip it apart this week. I'm sure the brakes need to be gone through and bearing packed or replaced. It's a Featherlite open car hauler that my folks signed over to me about 7 years ago. I haven't had a lick of trouble outta the trailer so I guess it was bound to happen sometime. I was just hoping it would hold off for a few weeks until my other toy is done.

ROB

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
TCosgrove said:
Zeeb

Thanks for the insight and the link to the other post.

Why can't GM just use the same color code as everyone else

Cosgrove
GM is standard. It's everyone else that isn't. Seriously.

Gm has used the same wiring colors for YEARS and I mean YEARS. This is the standard I know and most know and use. The problem is there are too many standards. The good thing about GM is they are consistand. Ford and Dodge jump all over the place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts