Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new wheels home yesterday and went to install trailer brake controller this morning. Everything went great up to the point of installing the 40 amp fuse provided with the factory wiring harness. I assume the 40 amp fuse is to go into STUD #2 which is listed in the owner's manual as "Accessory Power/Trialer Wiring Brake Feed", but when I opened the fuse block there was already a 30 amp fuse installed and the fuse map in the lid lists "STUD #2* 30A MAX" and I assume the "*" references the note at the bottom of the map that states "*NOTE: The function and amperage of these fuses are different, depending on the vehicle content. See Owner's Manual for functions of STUD#1 and #2." Of course the owner's manual was little to no help:rolleyes: .

I guess I am looking guidance. Do I leave the 30 amp fuse or do I use the 40 amp fuse?

·
Registered
234 Posts
There was a red fuse cap on mine where stud #1 was and I had to buy a 40 amp fuse just like the size that are already in there. Never used the one that came with harness. Once I installed the fuse I had power to my trailer interior lights. If you are having an issue with the controller not working there might be wires incorrectly hooked up. I know when I put my Tekonsha controller on according to the instructions I had two wires in the wrong spots. Local trailer joint hooked me up right away. Do a search for controllers. I saw some posts on this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed mine. Stud #1 is where the fuse goes. If you look on the OEM wiring harness, there is a tab that tells you that instruction. There is a case on there where you don't use the fuse.

Tracy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Directions, Who Needs Directions

I didn't even look at the OEM wiring harness for the brake controller becuase the Tekonsha Prodigy controller I bought came with a plug and play wiring harness.

After reading Zauskycop's post I got the OEM harness from my tool box and just like the post said the directions were on a tag on the OEM wiring harness :rolleyes:

step number 4 reads...

"4) Do only one of the following:
1)For vehicles without the TP2 option (auxiliary battery) plug in the 40A B+ trailering J-Case fuse in the stud #1 location of the UH electrical center.

2)For vehicles with the TP2 option (auxiliary battery): discard the 40A B+ trailering J-Case fuse - is is not needed.

I have the auxiliary battery so I don't have to do anything:) .

In the immortal words of my father..."when everything else fails, read the instructions"

Thanks for the helping hints.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, I have the aux battery also and didn't need it. You will however need to installl the small 40 amp fuse in stud#1 if you want trailer lights and to charge up your break away battery if you have one. Davey

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Everybody,
Thanks, I discovered there was a dummy "fuse" in the STUD#1 location. There was some kind of bar coded stcker across that row of fusses and I wasn't able to get it off entirely. So i saw a red "fuse" in that spot and assumed it was a 50 amp fuse. I finally got to remove all the sticker residue and saw it was a dummy "fuse", replaced it with the 40 amp fuse provided with the wiring harnes, and poof...my trailer had internal lights and my trailer battery is charging!!!

Thanks for everybody's help.

PS I wish the owner's manual would cover this little item better than it does. It generates more questions than answers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Everybody,
Thanks, I discovered there was a dummy "fuse" in the STUD#1 location. There was some kind of bar coded stcker across that row of fusses and I wasn't able to get it off entirely. So i saw a red "fuse" in that spot and assumed it was a 50 amp fuse. I finally got to remove all the sticker residue and saw it was a dummy "fuse", replaced it with the 40 amp fuse provided with the wiring harnes, and poof...my trailer had internal lights and my trailer battery is charging!!!

Thanks for everybody's help.

PS I wish the owner's manual would cover this little item better than it does. It generates more questions than answers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts