Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: I got a 2 part question here. When I am going less than 10 mph it feels like my antilock brakes system is messing up. My brakes pad kind of pumps, and the pedal depresses all the way down. Brake pads are fine in the front I checked them I need to check the rear?

Ok now I have a vibration under my foot when im about 65 mph. Then when I may slow down and turn say up in a driveway i hear a clunk or feel it when i turn. Intermediate drive shaft problems?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My brakes are pulsating when i hit them? rotors out of round?

·
Registered
445 Posts
that or you somehow possibly have air in the system?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
should i bleed my brakes first? i sure do hate taking off tires

·
Premium Member
17,955 Posts
If you feel it in the steering wheel, your rotors are warped. If you feel it in the pedal, then the front wheel sensor(s) have semi failed. The front sensors are mounted to the cast steel hub assembly and corrosion develops under their mounting ear, which moves the sensor further away from the assembly. This confuses the abs because it now thinks the wheel has stopped spinning and so the ABS takes over and controls the braking on that wheel(s). There was a recall in the rust belt for this but it doesn't necessarily cover a 3500 even though it uses the same parts.

As for air in the system, proof of air in the system is a spongy pedal during normal braking or a noticeable drop in pedal height during ABS application. Yours sounds like the second. Take the truck to a dealer with the proper electronic tools and have them power bleed the system while their scanner holds the valves open in the ABS. There is no practical way to relieve the air without having the proper scan tool. I paid $70 each time on 3 different trucks and it sure beats the hell out of wrecking your truck. It is an unsafe condition you have now.

But you also have a wheel speed sensor problem. When you call a dealer and tell them "I have air in my ABS", tthey should be able to quote you a price (short of breaking a frozen bleeder off.) If they don't know what the hell you are talking about, try another dealer 'til you find one who does. And get a quote on repairing or replacing the bad wheel speed sensor. They're about $110 and an hours worth of work but their scanner will tell them which front one it is.

·
Premium Member
17,955 Posts
Well?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Your ABS problem is the wheel speed recall. The ABS should not be active under 10 kph. The wheels should go to full lock. The fix is to remove the corrosion from the front wheel speed sensors or replace them depending on their condition.

Your vibration problem really could be many things and you probably need to describe your truck and any modifications that you have done.

The clunking while turning is the intermediate shaft problem. There is a new designed part available to fix this.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MTU alum;1590096; said:
Your ABS problem is the wheel speed recall. The ABS should not be active under 10 kph. The wheels should go to full lock. The fix is to remove the corrosion from the front wheel speed sensors or replace them depending on their condition.

Your vibration problem really could be many things and you probably need to describe your truck and any modifications that you have done.

The clunking while turning is the intermediate shaft problem. There is a new designed part available to fix this.
You think GM will honor the recall? I got the "quick fix" from the dealership for the intermediate steering shaft problem. That is a complete joke, with the little tube of lube.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The dealer should run your VIN through the GMVIS system to see if there are any outstanding recalls. The problem you may run into is the recall was limited to "corrosion states" in north. If your truck was originally sold at a dealer in the south and you moved to a corrosion state you may have some problems getting the recall done.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoke with the folks from gm, they said for me to take it to the dealership first. Dealership has to make the issue official, then if they dont fix it, contact gm again with my reference number to follow the next step. I told them it is unsafe driving, and ridiculous about the certain states requirements.

Thanks guys for giving me the headsup, hopefully i wont have to pay anything i will keep ya'll posted.

Here is the recall info:
make / models : model/build years: chevrolet / avalanche 2002 chevrolet / silverado 1999-2002 chevrolet / suburban 2000-2002 chevrolet / tahoe 2000-2002 gmc / sierra 1999-2002 gmc / yukon 2000-2002 gmc / yukon xl 2000-2002 manufacturer : general motors corp.

Nhtsa campaign id number : 05v379000 mfg's report date : aug 29, 2005 component: service brakes, hydraulic:antilock potential number of units affected : 1353718 summary: certain pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles may experience unwanted antilock brake system (abs) activation. This condition is more likely to occur in environmentally corrosive areas. This recall will be launched in the "salt belt" states of connecticut, delaware, illinois, indiana, iowa, maryland, massachusetts, maine, michigan, minnesota, missouri, new hampshire, new jersey, new york, ohio, pennsylvania, rhode island, vermont, west virginia, wisconsin and the district of columbia only. Consequence: this can cause increased stopping distances during low-speed brake applications, which could result in a crash. Remedy: dealers are to remove the wheel speed sensor and thoroughly clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surface on the bearing, apply rust inhibitor to the cleaned surface, grease the mounting surface, reinstall the wheel speed sensor, and check the peak-to-peak output voltage to ensure the wheel speed signal is within specifications. The recall began september 22, 2005. Owners may contact chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438 or gmc at 1-866-996-9463. Notes: gm recall no. 05068. Gm revised the involved vehicles by amending the original 573 report on october 4, 2005. Gm revised the original 573 report on december 16, 2005, to include additional states and vehicle population. Customers may also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stealership told it is the front wheel bearing hub assembly. worn out. can I do this myself? they want 670 bucks to fix it

·
Premium Member
17,955 Posts
coachhim;1596950; said:
stealership told it is the front wheel bearing hub assembly. worn out. can I do this myself? they want 670 bucks to fix it
Absolutely:D .

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was the front left hub assembly, and fixed it using the do it yourself article.
I cant tell you guys enough on how easy this is to do. My dealer wanted over $600 to do this. I took me about 2 1/2 hours, it would have taken me 2 but I took time going to get more beer and snuff.

The only thing I would tell people to be careful on, is the four 15 mm bolts in the back to make sure you have a really good wrench or 15 mm socket. They are so cheaply made it is unreal. You can easily stripped them which I stripped one. So i had to file it down square, and force a 9/16 socket on it to get it off, and stealership gave me 1 for free, but the normal price is $5 for it.

Otherwise easy job. Bought the part (BCA) from OReillys, for $220. www.oehq.com wants $155 for the AC Delco part but shipping takes a while and I need my truck.

with 148000 miles on my truck i got my money from the broke one.

Thanks heymcall you were a life saver!

Those dang 21 mm bolts on the caliper are B_ _ _ H to get off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts